Question Re: YWG

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

b-towndoc

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi guys,

I posted a few days ago about my tank. It has been up for 5 weeks and has cycled. Latest parameters this a.m. are: pH 8.3, Ammonia 0, Nitrite 0, Nitrate 0-5ppm. Temp 78.5-80. I had a few damsels that I returned to the LFS and obtained a coral banded shrimp and yellow watchman goby. I drip acclimated. Shrimp doing fine.

YWG has been doing very well before the last 24 hours (mind you he has only been in the tank for 3 days). He now constantly swims in the upper water column and this a.m. I thought I had lost him and couldn't find him in the tank. He actually was stuck in the overflow that leads to my HOB skimmer (Remora with the overflow attachment to decrease the microbubbles). Is this normal behavior? Prior to this he was pretty much a sand dwelling fish and had even picked out a burrow. Do they like strong water movement or is maybe my PH placed in the wrong spot?

I have fed him a balance between flake and pellet food. Could this be the issue?

Thanks in advance! Hope I am just being a tad over anxious.

Fish are mysterious ...in that we dont quite understand all behaviours ... You can try to tweek that PH and see if it helps a bit ... and get some plastic seweing canvis that you can try and "seal " off the area of the over flow the plastic comes in clear , white , blue , black etc and costs about 75 cents a sheet (8 X 11) at most craft stores ...
Right now it sounds like he is exploring his "new world" and this can be normal ...
I would say give a a week or so keep an ey on him and he should settle down ..
Is he going to the top when feeding only if so this is normal ...
They are not a real strong swimming fish however I would not worry too much about him swimming into the powerhead current , my clowns do this then stop and shoot across the tank , and have done so for a few years ;)
My YWMG is one that will come out for a few days then disappear for a few .. He will swim to the top occasionally ... should be fine as long as he is eating and color is good ...Your perameters are spot on as well ...
Just to rule this out tho do run a current test with a voltmeter to rule out stray current :D HTH sadie

Thanks for your help! I simply tweaked the PH to run more horizontal and he now is peacefully resting on the bottom. The change was pretty much instantaneous!

Back
Top Bottom