Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-02-2006, 05:57 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Questions from a newbie

I am new to the reef aspect of the saltwater hobby and have a few fairly dumb questions. 1) When I get a frag of a coral and it does not look like anything, how do I ID the frag? 2) How can I tell when a coral frag is alive or dead? Any information or advice would be appreciated.

Thank you!

Old 05-02-2006, 11:36 AM   #2
steve-s

Re: Questions from a newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynetteww125
1) When I get a frag of a coral and it does not look like anything, how do I ID the frag?
Sometimes you don't, at least not right away. Many if too small must mature some before they can be ID'd properly. Others you may just end up with a genus designation without ever knowing the species.

Quote:
2) How can I tell when a coral frag is alive or dead?
Knowing the natural behavior of a given species helps but barring that, the general look of the coral is really all you have to go by. If a zooxaanthellaete, does it extend during daylight hours, any signs of white fungus, excess mucus, necrotic black tissue, bleaching, color uniformity, self propogation and so on. The list is pretty endless.

Posting a pic would help.

Cheers
Steve
Old 05-04-2006, 06:30 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Newbie

I know that one a couple of the frags I received are zoos, and one of them hasn't opened up all the way, but when I have just the actinics or the lunars on the tank, the tops of it where it would typically open are bright orange. It seems that every day, there is more and more yellow-green colored strings poking out of the hole it would open up at. I will try to get a pic or two up for more help.
Old 05-04-2006, 10:53 AM   #4
steve-s

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynetteww125
there is more and more yellow-green colored strings poking out of the hole it would open up at. I will try to get a pic or two up for more help.
If it's coming from the mouth, it's either expelling zooxanthellae or extending messenterial filaments. Both something you don't want to see in zoanthuds. If you can get some clear focused pics, definately post them.

Please also include tank size, type of light, water quality numbers and chemistry numbers. How the corals where acclimated, their location in the tank and closest neighbour.

Cheers
Steve

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com