Questions regarding Quarantine Tanks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

crono_vivi

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a couple questions regarding quarantine tanks.

1. Do you have to quarantine the first fish you get? I figured since I wouldn't have any LR or any plants or inverts, that if they possibly got sick, I could just treat them in there.

2. Would I even need a QT if the fish I wanted had 4 weeks to acclimate at the Pet Store and they had the same temp and salinity as my tank? Because I work at a Pet Store, and I could quarantine them in back because I don't have the money or space for a QT.

Thanks.

Well, a true qt would be a system separate from the the stores system, with its own water. As long as no other livestock made its way into the tank, you could do that.
I would highly suggest qt either way. You don't want to introduce anything to your main, it is difficult to get out once its there.
Also you never want to treat the main with any med. Even substrate can absorb them rendering the treatment useless and killing off your biological filters.
The few bucks invested, will save you many bucks (and headaches) for the future.
IMO :wink:

Agreed on the need to QT. However if you can set up you own tank at the LFS, that may work as well too. Just be sure no one else uses the tank. 8)

Back
Top Bottom