Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
View Poll Results: Do you drink from your R/O water?
Yes 16 94.12%
No 1 5.88%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-01-2004, 08:27 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via Yahoo to Fishboy-from-NY
yes, I guess that the fins i'm growing and gills on the back of my neck are just illisions. lol

Old 07-01-2004, 10:53 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

I've been drinking my ro water since gettting my unit, why else would they put a "drinking water faucet" on the thing. I will tell you this, I have noticed 1 side effect, even regular bottled water taste like crap. If I can't drink my ro water I won't drink any water.

Vote for AquariumAdvice
dralarms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2004, 11:00 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice FINatic

RO water is fine to drink...when i was in the navy a majority of the water we made out at sea was from a RO unit
Old 07-01-2004, 11:08 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Anyone manage to find out why DI water might be bad to drink?

Click HERE to vote for Aquarium Advice!
Atari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2004, 11:19 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

I voted no, somewhat on accident. RO is ok, but DI is bad to drink because of osmosis. DI water has absolutly nothing it it, and your cells have a lot of something in them. Water always goes to the area of higher concentration, so your cells flood with water, and they can become damaged and explode.
RogerMcAllen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2004, 11:31 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

OK so why doesn't that apply to fish?

Old 07-01-2004, 11:51 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via Yahoo to Fishboy-from-NY
This is the R/O Unit that I have and it talks about a DI filter it includes

http://bigalsonline.com/catalog/prod...;pcid1=;pcid2=

Let me know were you got that infomation on water from a DO is bad, back it buddy.
Old 07-01-2004, 11:57 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

I heard or read something a while back, dont remember if it was about this exact subject... All I remember was that some water that had absolutely nothing in it somehow actually pulled some of the vitamins and minerals out of your body... Fluoride is bad, very bad... Does absolutely nothing for your teeth and it may cause the barrier to your brain to weaken allowing harmful things such as aluminum to pass through more easily... Sure I sound crazy... but the FDA and other govt organizations have been wrong about so many things, would you really trust them... anyway... about the bottled water... some of it tastes gross because of things added but a lot of bottled water these days is basically municpal or tap water from some really large cities... major name brands too... can you imagine paying money for bottled tap water... sure it's filtered a bit more but just get a pur or britta filter in your house and you can produce some decent drinking water yourself... anyway, this speach is long enough... I wouldn't feel comfortable saying anything about the ro/di water unless there was some sort of study I read or something... It sure isn't going to kill you but it might be a good idea to try and find some more info on it... good question
Old 07-02-2004, 12:07 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

It does apply to fish, but you mix salt into the water replacing the "stuff" in the water. Would you put a SW fish into FW? Of course not because the salinity content of the SW fish is much higher than that of the FW so that cells in his sensative tissues (gills, etc) will become damaged.

As far as not drinking DI, it would be the exact opoosite of drinking SW. Think about what happens when you drink too much SW, you become dehydrated and die. Why does this happen, because the SW in your stomache is at a much higher concentration than your body, so that you loose water as it leaves your system to dilute the SW. The same goes for FW cucumbers turning into SW pickles

Lastly, I bet your DI isn't as DI as it could be. I am willing ot bet your filter doesn't remove everything. Also, true DI is so pure that in most containers things will leech out into it raising the concentration of "stuff" making the water safer to drink.

Overal, drinking a glass of pure (abolutely nothing but H2O) DI water probably won't kill you, but it is not nearly as good for you as a glass of wather with some things dissoved in it.
RogerMcAllen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2004, 12:13 AM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

Here's some more people who can't decide..

www.finishing.com/156/65.html

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com