R. yuma kicked the bucket

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

makana

Aquarium Advice Activist
RIP my purple and orange yuma :'(
it was sploogeing and dying since last night and this morning i finally pulled it out with the old baster...i was literally to tears!
all well.
my params are all good:
salinity ~1.023
pH 8.2-8.3
nitrites and ammonia: undetectable
nitrates: very VERY little (almost 0)
calcium ~420ppm
a bunch of flow :)
2x55w PC with 10000k and actinic 03

i kept the Ricordia in good light with less flow than the average flow of my tank, in the lagoon area. do they need more flow than that?
TIA!!

How long did you have the Ricordia and how high up was it?

They typically do not like or require much intensity but do need some. Bottom ½ of the tank depending on lights and suspension from the water line is usually prefered. Water flow is much like a common shroom, med-low. Nothing brisk or direct.

Any other corals close to it? New additions?

Cheers
Steve

lets see...
it was in the bottom 1/2 of the tank under 2x55w PC in a 18" tank. it was in the lower flow area of the tank next to the Rhodactis mushies and below (about 3") from the toadstool leather (Lobophyta sp.) and near (5-6") from my zoanthid area. would any of these corals hurt the R. yuma? they never came in direct conatact but were always near each oth

oh and it was the newest addition besides this Haliotis sp. abalone that is doing great BTW.
THANKS!

Nothing glaringly stands out as the cause except the possible proximity of the shrooms and leather. It would depend on if you've seen mesenterial filaments from the Rhodactis at all. The leather can emit toxins but it usually needs to be closer to cause damage, still possible though. Unless the abalone has taken a liking to them (which I highly doubt) or possibley an unseen predator, I'm not sure what would cause it.

Do you use carbon? When was the last water change?

Cheers
Steve

no carbon (but i have thought about itrying it on occassion to clear up the water column for more light penetration i have not yet).
the last water change was a little over two weeks ago and it was about 5g.

THANKS!!

Might try adding the carbon and see if the coral "perk up" any. It's often the many thing we can't see or test for that it helps with. :wink:

Cheers
Steve

will do steve. its worth a shot seeing how cheap carbon is and readily available. i will do it for 24 hours this week.
i just remebered i put the Xenia elongata near the yuma for a few days and thats when it seemed to get "sick".. i believe this was the culprit... :'(
thanks so much for the help! i will run carbon anyway - i hear it clears the turbidity nicely too.

Why not let it stay for a few days-week? You'll get more overall benefit from it. As far as the Xenia being the cause, it's possible although not usually all that likely. They are quite weak when it comes to chemical warfare in general but they can have their "moments" for sure.

Cheers
Steve

steve- do you mean run the carbon for a week?
also, can i just put the carbon in a plastic bag, punch holes, and put this in the sump? do i need a HOB filter?

thanks!!

I bought a media bag for the carbon and sunk that into my sump. I'm not sure a plastic bag would have enough flow through it, even with the holes, to do a proper job. I've heard that bad carbon can be worse than no carbon so pick your carbon carefully!

makana said:
steve- do you mean run the carbon for a week?
Yes...

also, can i just put the carbon in a plastic bag, punch holes, and put this in the sump? do i need a HOB filter?
The plastic bag won't work, not enough contact area plus the carbon will fall through. You don't need a powerfilter either. Get a <<filter sock>> which should be available from your LFS and a plastic berry basket from the market. Place the carbon in the bag, rinse well with RO water and let drain. Tie the berry basket so it hangs below the outport of your skimmer. Place the cabon bag in the basket... 8)

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom