Rainbow Bubble Anemone

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Istrom

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hey all,

My new Rainbow Bubble Anemone has shrunk up, which I have read happens from time to time and is normal. There is one thing I haven't gotten an answer for though, should there be a hole in his center?

Thanks.

I guess you could say like a mouth. Except it goes all the way through, I can see what is underneath him.

How would he have lost it? None of the other inhabitants of the tank are aggressive in any way, and he was fine when I got him.

It's usually not a good sign, how long have you had it? A gaping open mouth is also not a good sign. What's you set up like? Tank size? Lighting? Age? What are your current parameters?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Params are all perfect, 6 month tank, 55 gallon with a clown and some reef safe hermits. Also have zoas, palys, frogspawn, hammer coral, Xenia, and a clam. Lighting is marine orbit LED.

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium Advice

Params are all perfect, 6 month tank, 55 gallon with a clown and some reef safe hermits. Also have zoas, palys, frogspawn, hammer coral, Xenia, and a clam. Lighting is marine orbit LED.

That LED won't support a clam nor an anemone. However, I think your anemone is just acclimating right now. It should start looking better as long as you have good params.

I got it at MACNA yesterday. Drip acclimation for 45 minutes.

Api kits are no where near accurate enough for reefs, little better than guessing IMHO. Your params are???

PH: 8.2
Ammonia: .25 (Makes sense because of the additions from yesterday)
Nitrite: 0 ppm
Nitrate: 10 ppm

A few more tank specs:

30 lbs live rock
80 lbs live sand
Water flow: ~2550 GPH
Hydor Slimskim 250.65 Protein Skimmer
Sump w/ Bioballs (soon to be a refugium with Chaeto Macroalgae)
Fluval 306 Canister Filter (took out carbon, added Purigen)

Water quality is out of the question IMO, my tank's water is exceptional. I didn't make this post to find out how the anemone may have been injured/killed. I simply wanted to find out if it was alive or not.

PH: 8.2
Ammonia: .25 (Makes sense because of the additions from yesterday)
Nitrite: 0 ppm
Nitrate: 10 ppm

A few more tank specs:

30 lbs live rock
80 lbs live sand
Water flow: ~2550 GPH
Hydor Slimskim 250.65 Protein Skimmer
Sump w/ Bioballs (soon to be a refugium with Chaeto Macroalgae)
Fluval 306 Canister Filter (took out carbon, added Purigen)

Water quality is out of the question IMO, my tank's water is exceptional. I didn't make this post to find out how the anemone may have been injured/killed. I simply wanted to find out if it was alive or not.

IMO 10 nitrates isn't exceptional. Also, it shows ignorance to say that you don't need to know why your anemone was killed.

Ammonia above 0 is cause for concern too. Your nem died, so something is clearly cause for concern.

Anemone's need mature system of around one year. They also need very strong lights for photosynthesis.

I found I was dripping for so long that the temperature would drop my drip container shocking the creature when I moved it to my DT.

Red Sea makes good test kits. Good luck!

Ammonia above 0 is cause for concern too. Your nem died, so something is clearly cause for concern.

No, you see, the ammonia spike was caused by the Anemone dying.

And don't you ever call me ignorant again because I give a **** and I actually try and struggle through things. I know why the anemone died so please, stop making a fool of yourself.

Oh got it. Sorry I misread. Thought those were the results before the nem died. I'm with ezy that dripping too long can cause temp swings but I doubt that caused the death.

Back
Top Bottom