raising magnesium put corals into shock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dingodan

Aquarium Advice Activist
have been tryin to raise magnesium in my tank over the past week adding no more than 80-100 ppm per day starting at 950 ppm now standing at 1300. (100 ml per dose) my anemone now has a twisted foot and some polyp corals won't open. all parameters seem good. what can i do?

Are you sure it was that low to begin with? No salt mixes with mag that low and taking into consideration most salts mix to around 1200-1300 ppm it's almost impossible for that much to be "used" in calcification.

i thought it was a bad test kit at first.. but i re-tested several times and even brought a sample of my water to the LFS and they got the same result

How long has the tank been running? What brand salt do you use and do you mix your own salt or buy it already made?
If you are sure the mag test is correct, do you or have you done any dosing of alk or calcium products? When calcification occurs (hard corals forming their skeletons, coralline algea growing or abiotic precipitation) a defined amount of calcium, alkalinity and magnesuim is used. For every 2 ppm of mag used, there is aprox 18 ppm calcium and 2.7 dKH of alk used. If we assume your mag dropped 250 ppm (1200 down to 950) then your calcium would have had to drop 2250 ppm and your alk 337.5 dKH. Obvioulsy there isn't that much calcium or alkalinity in seawater, so there is an issue somewhere. It could be a testing issue, bad salt or long term unbalance dosing which would have cause a lot of precipitation.

Back
Top Bottom