Random appearance of Popeye in one eye on clownfish...?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

catmel

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hey guys,
unfortunatly my camera is with my husband out of state so sorry I cant get a pic!

My one clownfish, who I have had for 3 years now, has developed popeye in one eye. He is eating well ( just fed today and noticed) and seems ok otherwise. No other fish seem to be affected.

No new fish, coral, rock, inverts..nothing. Noticed it today.. last water change was Sunday ( 4/3/10) - did 20 gallon change of a 55 gallon tan ( about 40% ) since I may not be able to do a water change this week.

SG is 1.026, PH about 8.4, ammonia 0, nitrite 0 nitrate around 10ppm, calcium 415, mag. about 1300, temp 79-80.

I've been reading if only one eye is effected and no other fish seem affected it could be a trauma to the eye and nothing should be done other than let it heal. Is this good advice or should I try and do anything else since he seems to be eating still?

Im confused as to why this popped up.. everything's been going well with the tank.

Thanks for the help

Ok, I'll give this a shot. Try maracyn and maracyn two for salt water... Idk if it's reef safe, but it fixes popeye in about a week.

Thanks for the help. I'm thinking it was an injury.. it looks better today, but still there, and hes still eating. Going to continue to watch and treat if needed.

Back
Top Bottom