Rapidly Dying Clown!!! Help!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

atwise21

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
:( I have a f.p. clown that has been really ill lately. He is swimming upside down (when he swims at all), he has lost alot of his color, he is not eating, and he is hiding out under a rock. I have four other inhabitants of the tank, another f.p. clown, a dwarf rusty angelfish, a cardinal, and a scooter. The tank is about 30 gallons with a dual bio-wheel (not sure what else it is called). There is about 15-20 lbs of live rock in the tank as well. All levels have tested to be wonderful and the other fish are doing great. However, I did have a camel shrimp die earlier today. The f.p. clown has no spots or lesions or any such markings, just lost his color and looks like he's ready to lay down and die. I need help fast, can't lose my nemo!!

OK, how long have you had him? Is he breathing rapidly? Had he been eating? What specifically are your water parameters, ammonia, nitrite? PH? Is anyone picking on him?
Need more info to help.

I have had him about two weeks, he is breathing rapidly, he hasn't been eating...but he had been up until today. No other fish has been picking on him, but he did seem a little scared of the rusty dwarf angel when i first put them in. I'm not sure what my water parameters are specifically, the pet store that I bought all of the supplies at tested my water today when I got back from army drill. They said everything was fine but my salinity was a little high. Any suggestions, I have shut the light off and gave him a little peace...what should I do?

High specific gravity? Need to find out how high. If he hasn't been eating for the first 2 weeks, that could be a sign of a lot of things.
Do you own a qt tank?

he had been eating for the first two weeks...he just stopped eating either today or last night. The salinity was around 1.025, just a tad too high, I already adjusted it to around 1.023. he has been eating though...just isn't now. I do not own a qt tank, but I'm sure, after this, it will be my next investment.

he is now on the grate leading to the bio-wheels...but still breathing rapidly.

Sounds like the fish is stressed. How did you acclimate the fish and exactly what are your water parameters including pH? You really need to know the actual numbers to help determine a cause.

Leaving the light off for a bit will help in reducing stress if that is the cause. Be sure you aslo keep a close eye on the interaction of the angel and the other clown. It could also be the other clown is part of the issue.

FWIW, an SG of 1.025 is ideal, not high.

Cheers
Steve

thanks for all of your advice guys. Nemo died last night at 9 pm. I think my next investment is going to be a qt and a water testing kit. I sure would hate for anything like this to happen again.

Sorry for your loss...

Keep a close eye on the other fish now in case it was parasite related. If you are lucky it was not and you dodge a bullet. This is why we preach QT :wink:

MOre likely I would think the problem is water quality related as the shrimp died also. No offense, but you don't even have a test kit on hand. I say get one so you can check parameters for sure. If you want to be successful at this, don't rely on lfs for readings. I have actually seen PETCO use those rediculous test strips, very inaccurate. They may also be more forgiving to the results and just say "good". I got a sw test kit for just over $20 at lfs; don't forget a hydrometer as well.

No fish tank owner should ever be withouth a test kit. Good luck. Chances are your clown had something wrong with him before he came home with you.

Sorry for your loss. Don't get another clown now. Once you have one established, they will fight each other - to the death. You need to get true pairs when it comes to clowns.

Sorry for your loss.

Also
Sorry for your loss. Don't get another clown now. Once you have one established, they will fight each other - to the death. You need to get true pairs when it comes to clowns.

This can be true, or in some cases they will not.

I introduced a clown that was just plain evil. I took him back got another one that was very passive. The clown was in the tank for I guess around 4 months. 3 weeks ago, I introduced a new smaller clown to the tank. They did not fight at all. In fact they are now a mated pair. They go everywhere together. :wink:

I guess in some rare cases they can be put together. If you decide to get another, make sure with the lfs that if one is aggressive towards the other they will let you bring it back for credit. :D

I went out a bought a test kit the day after the clown died...and the water tested great on all aspects...0 Ammonia, <0.3 Nitrite, the specific gravity actually jumped on me a little, which was odd since I was trying to lower it. I think the shrimp just didn't adjust well since it stayed hidden in a rock for the duration of his stay with us. The clown always looked a little sickly though, so I think that we just got a lemon. Once again, thanks for all of the advice guys.

Back
Top Bottom