RBTA Splitting?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ttraer

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Last week my kids dumped a tonne of food into the tank (75g) over two days while I was at work. When I noticed the water quality (by looking) I tested and got 10ppm nitrates. I immediately did a 50% water change as I was fearful for my nem. And by the next day at noon ammonia, nitrite and nitrate were all back to 0...still are. Temp 79

But the very next day the Nem was pulled back into a small cave it always had its foot planted in (but the body always out) and the tentacles were withdrawn so that it looked like an onion with the tips of the tentacles as the roots of the onion. And it's foot pulling in directly opposite directions.

This has been happening daily since (5 days now) on and off. I know the water change can trigger a split but my nem has never split so I don't know if this is what it looks like.

Any opinions?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1415852719.170908.jpg
Doesn't currently have the onion shape but you can see the foot extended on one side. When it's not retracted and pulling in two directions it's out but only about a third inflated. Also...the morning after the water change he was fully extended and looked normal.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1415852965.434533.jpg

The clowns are super sensitive to anything coming within 6" of their nem while it's doing this.

Oh and Ph 8.2, Alk 10

Nitrates of 10 aren't enough to stress an anemone out like it is, this is not an anemone splitting. Dumping a ton of food in there would provide higher nitrates one would assume.
How long have you had the anemone? The key is wanting to keep things pristine and stable to ensure the good health of an anemone.

The anemone has been in there for three months. Has not moved or acted this way from day one. Water is back to pristine.

No livestock has been added to the tank. I can't imagine what the cause of the stress would be.

Did another big water change just to be safe. Water is basically as it was before the change.

Temp 80
PH 8.2
Ammonia, Nirtite, Nitrate 0
Calcium 440
Magnesium 1300
Hardness 11dKh

And no change in the Nem's behaviour....really puzzeled.

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1415907164.665326.jpg

It was a mix, flake, pellets and frozen. ( I feed a variety so I guess they thought they would too) Seems back to normal now. No idea what, if anything, was stressing it.
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1416018000.778217.jpg

He was purging all the food out of him. Basically he had a stomach ache my niece dumped awhole 20 gallon bucket of marine flakes in my 280 and my RBTA got most of the food. She stayed closed up for a month I thought I was gonna lose her but she was fine in the end and is to this day in her new home.

iPhone 5s has taking over lol

Ok, now that makes sense! Thanks for the info.

I was so happy to see it fully extend yesterday I would have kissed it if not for the likely damage to both of us. lol

They did put in 3 frozen cubes of Cyclop-Eeze....at once,,with everything else. It likely got most of that stuff. Everything is making sense now....and after doing a 50% and then 6 days later a 60% water change tanks life seems back to normal.....with two cleaner shrimp who seem to be perpetually moulting! lol

Back
Top Bottom