Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-25-2013, 11:14 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_X View Post
That looked peculiar to me to. I doubt a hermit would eat a healthy coral though. I've never had trouble with these corals until I got LEDs. I noticed the neon green ones had a harder time than the white ones with the powerful lighting.
yes. Definitely feed if it accepts it.
Thank you Mr. X. I have a par38 LED bulb but I've had it on the tank since the day I brought the coral home. I keep it in indirect lighting because I thought full light would be too much for it. I've never had an issue with this coral until now. It's truly a mystery! Hopefully it will want to eat tonight.

Old 01-26-2013, 09:26 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearchumjs View Post

I did rinse it very well. It's taken care of then little bit of hair algae and also the random spot of cyano that would pop up.

About the feeding, the trumpet looks like something picked at or poked at the flesh, which made me think maybe the hermits? I know I was over feeding when I first got Blue because I was afraid he'd starve and die, but over the last week I've only fed him a few pellets or mysis once a day. Before I had a fish I'd drop in 2-3 pellets once a week to make sure the clean up crew wasn't starving to death. Anyway, now that I know or sure the hermits aren't hungry I don't have to wonder if it is them picking on the coral. I've been trying to research this problem but can't find anything that helps other than that trumpet coral are very resilient and usually recover from what is ailing them. Should I try to feed the trumpet after lights out if he extends his tentacles?
I have noticed my blue legged crab is always on my neon green trumpet picking at its stalk , just the stalk not the flesh . It has some holes in the skeleton leading up to the heads but it still seems happy.. Just my observations w hermits and this coral .
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-178111554.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	104.2 KB
ID:	147303  

Old 01-26-2013, 11:44 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Newbie

I noticed your trumpet is on a frag. I also had a similar issue after adding a soft coral. My trumpet reacted much the same way. It did not like being on the frag stuck in the sand, so I moved the frag up about 3 inches. It liked where it was at, but the crabs and snail kept climbing on it and knocking it over. I secured the frag and it was doing better. Then I added a soft cabbage coral that mucoused in the tank. It HATED that! So I moved it up higher into a better water flow area and as far away from the softie and again it recovered, but it wasn't growing, and the stem tissue appeared to start receding up. Mind you, no critters in the tank were bothering it. Finally, I moved it up into an even better flow area, far away from the soft coral, broke the stem off from the frag piece, and mounted it to a piece of live rock, Not only did it regularly inflate during the day, and extend it's tentacles at night for feeding, but the polyps began to cleave themselves and start growing new ones! (My research indicated that trumpets are VERY sensitive to the poisons exuded from soft corals in the water surrounding its living space.) Finally, I found a spot where this coral was thriving. I truly belive it was the removal off the frag and mounting the stem base (with Super Glue Gel) to the live rock that made it happier and want to grow, as well as good placement. The same thing happened with my cabbage coral. As soon as I let it attach its base to the live rock, it started growing and thriving like crazy! Bottom line - experiment every couple of days with placement until you see a coral is happy, then make your decision on whether or not to permently mount it there. Corals like to be "handled" as little as possible, so it's important to experiment with final placement and observation for a while on the front end. Hope my 2˘ and experience above are helpful to you.
Old 01-26-2013, 03:30 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

So this morning my trumpet still looks awful and my grape monti had a slimy film on it and its completely lost its color. Wow. I did another 25% pwc this morning. Zoas and pagoda cup seem fine. Frogspawn is doing ok. Mushroom is fine. Fish is fine. Inverts are fine. I didnt feed the trumpet last night. I fell asleep while waiting for his feeder tentacles to come out.
Old 01-26-2013, 04:05 PM   #15
Giant Clam Addict
Community Admin

POTM Champion

And there have been no recent changes?
Sniperhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 04:14 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniperhank View Post
And there have been no recent changes?
No changes other than adding the frogspawn, shroom and ric. I put purigen in the pump last Sunday. That's it.
Old 01-26-2013, 04:17 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't there something on the bottle about rinsing it since the dust can be harmful to some inhabitants. Maybe there is something in it that your trumpet does not like.
Old 01-26-2013, 04:24 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrc8858 View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't there something on the bottle about rinsing it since the dust can be harmful to some inhabitants. Maybe there is something in it that your trumpet does not like.
I rinsed it really really good though. I always rinse everything really well because I'm paranoid about it. *sigh*.
Old 01-26-2013, 06:19 PM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
I wish it was something simple, but I don't know what it could be.
Old 01-26-2013, 06:33 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_X View Post
I wish it was something simple, but I don't know what it could be.
For real. Well hopefully the water changes removed enough of whatever was bugging the corals. Thank you again for your advice. I guess one good thing (if you can call it good) is that I only had about $20 invested in the two corals that seem to be effected. I guess if I had spent $100 for them I'd be really upset. Still though, I'm sad that they are sick. They are living creatures and I don't want to see them die. Perhaps time will allow them to heal and come back from this weird situation. My mind=Boggled.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com