recovering from ich

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rbarb1111

Aquarium Advice Regular
I just lost 3 fish in my tank to ich the fourth fish has been in the tank for the past 11 days and shows no signs of ich. What should i do before i add anymore fish to the tank. Is there a certain period of time i should wait to make sure the ich disappears. There is still one fish left in the tank. I am confused what i should do next. I know that i have to start a QT tank before adding any new fish. Any help appreciated.

Thanks

If there is a fish host around the parasite will not die off. You need to QT the remaining fish and leave your main tank fallow(fishless) for 6 weeks. During that time if the fish develops symptoms you can treat accordingly in the QT.

I agree with the QT. but from what I found out from my reef club is two things.

1. If the fish is truly heathly they will heal them selves from ICH. I know many people in my club that have had ICH in there tank and have completely become immune to it.

2. (AndI know I am going to get flammed for this) There is no way to keep ICH out of your systems. Unless you QT everything Corals,fish,LR,LS etc...

If you pick up a coral and they run on the same system with fish. You have a chance to get ICH. Same with LR and LS.

CBRGuy said:
1. If the fish is truly heathly they will heal them selves from ICH. I know many people in my club that have had ICH in there tank and have completely become immune to it.
Gotta disagree with that. Aquired immunity is short lived and typically does not last much longer than 6ish months. Even if you do not see evidence of the parasite, it will still be one the fish. Any additions or interuptions of the tank will as a rule bring about a full blown infestation. As long as the fish are in the tank, C. irritans will survive!

2. (AndI know I am going to get flammed for this) There is no way to keep ICH out of your systems. Unless you QT everything Corals,fish,LR,LS etc...

If you pick up a coral and they run on the same system with fish. You have a chance to get ICH. Same with LR and LS.
No flame intended but keeping any parasite infestation out of the main display is completely fesible and 100% effective when QT'ing all fish. I do agree that when purchasing corals and such with hard surfaces there is the small possibility or introducing a parasite as well. Personally that is why I always recommend buying mobile and sessile inverts alike from fishless systems. No fish, no ich :wink:

Cheers
Steve

How can i cycle a qt tank to house the last fish. If i use water from the main tank
won't i be introducing ich into the qt tank. I plan on purchasing a 10 gallon tank as a qt tank what other equipment should it have?
Thanks

steve-s said:
CBRGuy said:
Gotta disagree with that. Aquired immunity is short lived and typically does not last much longer than 6ish months. Even if you do not see evidence of the parasite, it will still be one the fish. Any additions or interuptions of the tank will as a rule bring about a full blown infestation. As long as the fish are in the tank, C. irritans will survive!

No flame intended but keeping any parasite infestation out of the main display is completely fesible and 100% effective when QT'ing all fish. I do agree that when purchasing corals and such with hard surfaces there is the small possibility or introducing a parasite as well. Personally that is why I always recommend buying mobile and sessile inverts alike from fishless systems. No fish, no ich :wink:

Cheers
Steve

Agreed :) but the problem that we have in my area is frag swaps.. We trade different frags, there is a pretty good chance that you will get ICH. And I am not disagreeing with QT at all. I think it is important to monitor your fish and QT them if they are sick, but some times the cure can be worse then the illness. A lot of people kill their fish with kindness.
:D

rbarb1111 said:
How can i cycle a qt tank to house the last fish. If i use water from the main tank
won't i be introducing ich into the qt tank. I plan on purchasing a 10 gallon tank as a qt tank what other equipment should it have?
Thanks

The ICH will die if you are treating if the Hypo or copper..

rbarb1111 said:
Thanks
It's not just the infested fish but all fish need to be QT'd and treated if the tank has a parasite present. If the other fish are left in the display, any trophonts that have released from the fish to encyst will multiply and eventually infest the remaining fish. Only by removing all the fish and leaving it fallow for upto 6 weeks can you ensure the parasite will be eradicated. Before you go that route I'd be sure of what you are treating though.

Setting up a QT is quite easy and using the water from the main tank is no concern for the initial fill only. If the fish already has the parasite, using the same water the fish came from will be of no concern. You will need some type of treatment (hyposalinity or copper) so anything transfered with it will die as well. Just be sure any future water changes for the QT are done with well aged newly prepared SW only.

Here's an article on quarantine set up the should help.

Cheers
Steve

Thanks all

I am setting up a 10 gallon qt to treat my remaing fish and leave the display tank fishless for 6 weeks. If i run the sponge for the filter in my qt in my current display tank for a week or so will this be enough to cycle the qt tank when i put the sponge in the qt filter?

Richard

rbarb1111 said:
If i run the sponge for the filter in my qt in my current display tank for a week or so will this be enough to cycle the qt tank when i put the sponge in the qt filter?
It won't actually cycle the QT but will transfer a decent amount of bacteria giving it a good headstart and lessening the severity of a regular cycle. That said though unless you treat with hyposalinity or Copper other than ionic, the filter seeding would be pointless.

Cheers
Steve

I was planing on using cupramine. If the tank is not cycled won't the fish die with ammonia in the tank? Should i use a light on the QT tank?

A seeded sponge filter will help reduce the spike in ammonia so it shouldn't cause any deaths (hopefully). Just be sure you keep a decent amount of SW prepared at all times for water changes. If available, get an ammonia alert badge made by Seachem. Cupramine being an amine based product will produce a false NH3 reading with most regular test kits. Be sure before doing a water change, the new water must be medicated before it goes in the tank to keep the Cupramine concentration correct.

The light on the QT is not necessary and keeping just ambient light will help reduce stress in the fish. Although it does help if you have something to light the tank even if only for a few moments at a time. Nothing bright, just so you can see if there are any parasites present on the fish, secondary infection and monitor overall progress.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom