Red Algae Problem and stumped

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ben10

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
1. Type & how long you have had it: 29g saltwater, had it about 10 months
2. Current lighting & Bulb Age: 1 Coral Sun 24" 17 watt T8 and 1 dual output T5 30" with each bulb 31 watts, both bulbs are about 3 months old
3. Nitrate:0
4. Calcium:unknown
5. Phosphate: unknown
6. Alkalinity: off chart
7. pH:8.0
8. Salinity:1.024
9. Temperature:78
10. Liquid or strip test kits:strip
11. Location in tank:all freakin over
12. Current amount of flow:medium
13. Current tank dosing regimen:I add zooplankton twice a week along with phytoplankton, iodide once a week, and two buffer when need but regularly twice a week
14. Nearby coral:strange, it avoids the coral completely
15. Explanation of problem:it has like a red carpet like look, it could be a number of problems, I have a feeling it might have something to do with the phosphate levels, because I don't know what they are, but it also started happening when I got my refugium. It only stayed near the top of the water though. It doesn't seem to be affecting anything but is a really bad eyesore. I also feel it might start affecting things. Again red algae like, it covers the surface of everything that receives light. I siphon it off and it just comes back stronger. Please help.

6. Alkalinity: off chart
13. .....and two buffer when need but regularly twice a week
Why are you adding buffer when you say your alk is off the chart?

13. .....iodide once a week
Are you testing for iodine? Never dose anything you aren't testing for.

15. Explanation of problem:it has like a red carpet like look, it could be a number of problems
Answer is....13. Current tank dosing regimen:I add zooplankton twice a week along with phytoplankton

Cyano is cause by high nutrients in the water. What's in the tank that needs to be feed zooplankton and phytoplankton(which is algae)? How often and how big are your water changes? Are you using RO/DI water for top offs and water changes?

Back
Top Bottom