Red bugs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bribo12

Aquarium Advice Addict
So I believe I have red bugs on my one acro frag. The frag is still healthy and growing but I've heard conflicting reports about red bugs. Anyone have any experience dealing with them?

Yep been there. I dipped the corals in bayer advanced with germ killer ( pretty sure that's the name) and I got a pipefish (believe it was a dragons face) from a local reefer and after a couple months the pipe had eaten what the coral dip hadn't killed and I returned it.

Only problem is the acro is encrusted on a rock lol. I literally saw maybe two. I just don't want to treat my whole tank with interceptor

Well you were thinking about a 5th fish, how about a nice red bug eating pipe fish? :D

He's a flametail and is just a jerk haha. He kills clams, rips my royal grammas fins up and doesn't eat any algae...

Wow your a better person than I am, if a fish killed one of my clams they'd find themselves in a lfs tank so fast. Hopefully Mr_X has a solution for you in that reef encyclopedia of a brain of his :) I would be hesitant to treat the whole tank too

I can't catch him lol. Yeah I just talked to a friend who had them and he said prazipro may work as a dip to kill them.

You gonna dip the whole rock? If you try it let me know how it works JIC

Well I've been reading and ppl are having success with ivermectin which I have. So I'm just gonna break it off and dip in that. Now to figure out the quantity

They are live bearers, so you don't have to worry about eggs. Chances are though, if one coral has them, you may have them all over. The dragon pipefish had been reported to eat them but it's like any other remedy- hit or miss. Plus the pipefish can be like a mandarin in that all it will eat are pods. I used interceptor.

They are live bearers, so you don't have to worry about eggs. Chances are though, if one coral has them, you may have them all over. The dragon pipefish had been reported to eat them but it's like any other remedy- hit or miss. Plus the pipefish can be like a mandarin in that all it will eat are pods. I used interceptor.

Yeah I'm not gonna do the pipe, I'd try to just borrow one if I did but not worth the hassle. Have you heard of people using ivermectin? I was searching reef central and it seems to be a viable option as I don't think I can get interceptor anytime soon

Well I did the dip in ivermectin and it seems to be successful. No moving bugs on the acro and the polyps are out more than they've been in weeks. All other acros I dipped still look great, no signs of bugs

One last question mr.x. You said they don't lay eggs so if I got them all they shouldn't come back right?

Back
Top Bottom