RED BUGS on my new Acropora Frag

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mrg02d

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Dangit! This morning I wake up to see lil red bugs all over my new Acropora frag! Strange thing is, is that right next to it the other acropora frag (green) is free of them.

How do I get rid of them? I have heard of an Interceptor treatment, but also that one needs a prescription to get it. Seems to me that that will not only be bothersome, but also $$$ just to treat a $20 frag.

Any tips? I tried brushing them off, and blasting them off. :shotgun: No luck.
Thanks!
Matt

Hello,
thanks for the tips! I looked closely and only the purple kind has the bugs. The other is completely clear of them. Do you know if Betadine would work as a dip? (Asking since it should be available locally).
Thanks,
Matt

So are these flatworms?
Nope, got the red bugs...:-(
I called my LFS and they said to try to use the heart worm preventative and that all the coral dips dont work. I picked up a bottle of Betadine to try out tonight. I will keep you guys posted!
Matt

Good news! I did a Betadine Dip and most of the bugs look to be gone! I can see a couple left, but they are moving at all.

Hopefully they are gone! I did 4 cups of tank water plus 3mL of Betadine and let the coral soak for 25mins. Took it out and rinsed it in some more tank water and place it back in tank.

I will report back in a few days if I see no more bugs.
Matt

following alone..how'ed you come up with betadine?

following alone..how'ed you come up with betadine?
Hello,
I saw that others were using it to kill flat worms that kill acroporas and mistook that for them using it on red bugs. I hope this works and that the red bugs arent somehow hiding from me!

If it does work, this would be great! And much cheaper than taking a dog to the vet just to get an Interceptor pill!

Matt

Let's hope the coral survives the time in the betadine.

Keep an eye on it. I've never dealt with it, but if it was just as simple as an iodine dip I don't think it would be as much of a problem as it is. I'm pretty sure you can get the Interceptor by mail order without a prescription if you look around.

25 min dip in betadine...wow. I never heard of anyone using that, or anyone ever dipping anything for that long. I hope the coral survives.

The coral looks like it did when I bought it. All polyps out fully extended. Still has its color too. I still dont see any bugs except a few that havent moved since the dip. (Before they were scurrying all over the poor frag). I guess we will see in a few days how its doing.

Yeap, Betadine for 25mins. I had found the instructions somewhere online meant for flat worms and thought it was meant for acro red bugs. Seems to have worked!

Matt

UPDATE:
I can see a couple of red bugs still on the coral, but they arent moving. Maybe 3-4 of them total that I can see. Its been a few days, and the population looks to have been decimated. I think I will give the coral another Betadine dip tonight when the lights go out.

This may just work!

Matt

UPDATE 2:
So a few days ago I saw the red bugs were back and I nuked the acorpora again with the Betadine. The day after, I nuked the acro again :D

Now a few days later, no more bugs! I dont see ANY and am going on day three of no signs of bugs. The coral still has all of its polyps extend each day.

I will let you guys know next week if its still red bug free...Looking promising!

Matt

you need a prescription to get interceptor, but i spoke to my vet and he feels that horse dewormer (ivermectin) would do the same thing. i have yet to try it. good luck with the betadine. i haven't heard of anyone having luck with iodine dips.

Still no red bugs! Coral extends polyps during the day and at night (much more at night for some reason).

Im going to call this a success. Yea?
Matt

Back
Top Bottom