Red Flatworm Elimination Tips?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

grimlock3000

Aquarium Advice Addict
I am trying to decrease the population of Red Flatworms in my tank before using Flatworm Exit to wipe them out. I have some time since the Flatworm Exit needs to be shipped to me anyway. Fortunately, there are no fish or fancy corals in my tank yet since I am still cycling so this is the best time for me to be daeling with this. I made a tool for siphoning up worms by attaching an empty Bic pen casing to a section of siphon hose. With the pen, I can get right on the Flatworms and suck them right off anything they might be on. I was not able to get enough suction on a larger piece of tube to pull the Flatworms right off a piece of rock.

Today I got busy sucking the worms out of the tank. I was able to get almost every visible Flatworm in about 10 minutes. My tank got a 20% water change as a nice side benefit. A couple hours later, it was like all of the Flatworms were right back in the tank :( I really thought I had most of the worms, but I guess they are pretty well established in my substrate and rock. I am going to do it all over again tomorrow and keep this up for a few days until I does the Flatworm Exit.

Is there anyway to attract these to a specific portion of the tank? Or any food source I can put in the tank to collect them? Anyway to cut down on them reproducing until I break out the Flatworm Exit? Thanks!

I am investigating this myself and I don't like what I've read so far. All I have heard is skim aggressively, maintain high water flow or perhaps you will be lucky enough to find some wrasse or other critter to eat them. The population supposedly wax and wane on their own. Good Luck.

I had them bad and did the Exit with success, it was, however, a stressfull undertaking. They are back and multiplying rapidly once again. Two Leopard wrasses do not seem to be interested. If nothing else helps I guess I will result to the Exit again. All I can say, take your time when you do it, don't rush it and don't leave out any precautionary steps such as siphoning, carbon and water change.

Back
Top Bottom