Red Lobster

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dwish8990

Aquarium Advice Regular
The newest additions to my tank.... :D

The tang didn't want to pose for a pic... :eek:

Attachments

• lobster_177.jpg
    lobster_177.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 396
  • yellow_tang.jpg
    yellow_tang.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 209
Oh he looks like a monster :) Keep him well fed so he doent decide to munch on any of your fish.

fishfreek said:
Oh he looks like a monster :) Keep him well fed so he doent decide to munch on any of your fish.

Well, I'm hoping the info online is correct about them. They are only supposed to go after fish if they are weak or sick/dying. The LFS sold me some krill to feed him but I'm not quite sure how he's going to eat the krill since it floats! Maybe i have to buy some sort of weight to attach the krill to? hmm.... :?:

I had one of these in my 29 gal reef tank. He did NOT just stick to weak/dying fish. He ate 2 fire gobies, 1 green mandarin, a watchman goby, several peppermint shrimp, several blood shrimp, several coral banded shrimp, and two arrow crabs. Of course, it was a small tank, but I fed him every day religiously and he still couldn't resist the fish. I did have one peppermint that survived for over a year, and one arrow crab the same. The cool thing with the lobster was he would molt and if I was quick I could pull the molts out and let them dry on a shelf, so now I have about 10 little lobster shells from the four years I had him. I think in a 55 you might have a better time of it... but the hermits will probably be lobster snacks eventually. Then again, FWIW, maybe mine was just super voracious.

zuzecawi said:
I had one of these in my 29 gal reef tank. He did NOT just stick to weak/dying fish. He ate 2 fire gobies, 1 green mandarin, a watchman goby, several peppermint shrimp, several blood shrimp, several coral banded shrimp, and two arrow crabs. Of course, it was a small tank, but I fed him every day religiously and he still couldn't resist the fish. I did have one peppermint that survived for over a year, and one arrow crab the same. The cool thing with the lobster was he would molt and if I was quick I could pull the molts out and let them dry on a shelf, so now I have about 10 little lobster shells from the four years I had him. I think in a 55 you might have a better time of it... but the hermits will probably be lobster snacks eventually. Then again, FWIW, maybe mine was just super voracious.

Yeah I'm not too worried about losing a few hermits if that happens... they're cheap. Cool stuff with the molts! what'd you end up doing with the lobster?

It may be just the pic, but the tang looks to be loosing it's color. It needs some good veggies to munch on. I would also soak the food in vitamins. Does it look kind of white towards the front of the tang or is it just the pic? :wink:

revhtree said:
It may be just the pic, but the tang looks to be loosing it's color. It needs some good veggies to munch on. I would also soak the food in vitamins. Does it look kind of white towards the front of the tang or is it just the pic? :wink:

Its the pic.. its VERY yellow in person. I need a new camera. Darn 2 megapixels.

Cool stuff with the molts! what'd you end up doing with the lobster?
Unfortuneately, when I got deployed to Iraq, I had to sell my tank, lobster included (along with around half my earnings worth coral, fish, critters, rock etc). :cry: Then when I broke my leg and got evac'd back to the states I was stuck in the barracks on medhold for another year, and I finally got home this December. (Deployed 10 Feb 2003) So the whole time I daydreamed of snakes and fish. And now, redemption at last, a new tank and twice the size as the last! :)

Bet u ur red lobster wouldnt mess with my coral banded shrimp , my shrimp is a mutant!! i never seen one as big as mine ,

I hope your happy with ur new tank

Well, the new tank is huge compared to the old one, and I'm pretty excited about that. I miss the old one, it was gorgeous and a labor of love, but this one will be twice as much fun, and I know much more now than I did with the first one, so I'm hoping that the expanded knowlege will equal to a more rewarding experience with this aquarium. It's kinda a thing of coming home for me, leaving the war behind and moving on with life. I can't say how many nights I spent in Iraq thinking of setting up that dream aquarium, I even had my family send me my coral books. Now I'm home and I can do it, instead of just dreaming. Heh, there's something kinda funny about dreams of water in a land of sand. :wink:

Just wanted to say we all appreciate you going out to IRAQ and fighting for us!! George Bush is a jack*** but you did what was asked of you. Good job.

Dwish
Very cool! Where in NJ do you get your fish? Always looking for a good SW place. I'm in Central NJ.
DJ

Just wanted to say we all appreciate you going out to IRAQ and fighting for us!!

Ditto. Thank you from the bottom of my heart. To you and to all our service men and women!

Back
Top Bottom