red sea fan bleching but, growing in some parts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ometh

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
ok so i'm not sure what to exactly do. my sea fan has some bleching on parts of its branches but, in other parts it's growing more now (put full spectrum lights) should i purn it or will it just shed the dead parts of itself off?

Red Sea Fan

As you can see these are for experts only. They do not have a good track record in the home aquarium. I would take a baster and gently blow tank water on it to keep algea from growing on it.

it's obvisouly in a good water current spot to prevent algea growth (someone did his homework before he took the coral ;D) and it was givin to me when it was bleaching badly from a friend (he kinda gave up on it) but, it's doing quite well now and is growing alot. My question was if I should prune the bleached branches or just leave them.

it will not shed the dead parts. what color are the polyps on this gorgonian? are you sure it's photosynthetic?

it will not shed the dead parts. what color are the polyps on this gorgonian? are you sure it's photosynthetic?

the polyps are a very tiny white polyps (almost clear) and i'm starting to think it's non photosynthetic but, on the other hand when it was given to me my friend had it under cheap walmart lights. When I put it in my 10 gallon it's doing a lot better and I use phytoplankton and mirco vert by kent marine to supplement my tank for my filter feeders. it's doing a lot better growing and branching. i also purned the dead branches hoping it'll grow those branches into new ones.

Back
Top Bottom