Red Sea Star HELP

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheChad

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hey All,

I just purchased a Red Sea Star from the LFS that looked great when I brought it home.

Now 2-days later, it looks like something has been picking at it? or like it's body is disolving!?

I will try to get some pictures to post later today.

I drip acclimated it for 2 hours before placing it into my tank.

I'm not sure what is causing it's current problem, but I'd like to save it if that's even possible?

Thanks,

-TheChad

There are alot of things that can go wrong with a star.
You acclimated properly but did you expose it to air ?
What are your perameters in your tank?
What inhibatants do you house in your tank ?
Where the ever any meds in the tank especially copper ?
And yes if possible post a picutre .
Usually when they start to "disolve" it is a pretty dismal out look for them they just usually die from there . Do you have a QT tank you can put him in with cycled rock and H20 to treat him ?

I agree with the above. Answer those questions and we may be able to help. More than likely, it was exposed to air, either in shipping or handling or after acclimation.

Ditto with what Sadie said. Usually once they start dissolving there is no saving them, but it's not 100% sure. It's always important to keep a close eye on your stars when they are being bagged to make sure they don't get air exposure, which can kill them. Answering her questions will help us a lot. Regardless, sorry to hear about your star.

Sorry to hear about that. I`m pretty sure that he was exposed to air. Next time check it out at the LFS and put a down payment down and let it stay there for a week to make sure that he was not exposed to air during shipping. Then make sure that the LFS does not expose him to air and you dont when you acclimate him.

Back
Top Bottom