Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 12-28-2009, 05:13 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie
Red Sea star. Please Help!

I've had my small red sea star for about six months going round the tank at quick pace, but tonight he has stopped and started to let off very small red balls , egg looking, out of his pores. he has not moved since. He's still on the glass, as he was several hours ago.
Please help... I'm very new to this fab hobby!

My tank is 86 litre with two clowns, baby regal tang, cleaner shrimp, 3 snails, 2 hermit crabs, a mali anemone and added this morning a yellowpeel angelfish and a yellow blenney.

My levels as of now are 0.8 nh4
nitrate 5
nitrite 0.1
phos 0.1
ph 8.1
s.g 1023
i am using a interpret test kit.

wph1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 12:28 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
Does sound like eggs, but I'm no expert with stars.

Any idea why you're showing detectable levels of ammonia and nitrites? For a tank that's been up at least 6 months, I wouldn't expect any detectable levels for either of those.

Kurt_Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 04:16 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak
Im no expert with Salt, or anything for that matter, but I do know that 86 liters isnt sufficient to hold all those fish! could be contributing...
"Life is the art of drawing without an eraser."
Lynae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2009, 08:35 AM   #4
Community Admin

Tank of the Month Award
I`m thinking your bioload has something to do with it. Alot of fish for that size tank. The hippo tang needs at least a 75 gallon tank.
melosu58 is offline   Reply With Quote

sea, star

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com