Red Slime on Flowerpot

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

40galreef

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have had a flowerpot coral. I bought it as a frag a couple months ago. It did okay for a while, then became infested with red slime algae. I have cleaned the coral a couple time, but the algae continues to grow. I am now using algae fix, but it just pretty much stops the growth, I need it clean!! Making a trip to LFS today, what is a good critter to clean the coral?

Thank you for your time!!

Attachments

• image-1127799790.jpg
    image-1127799790.jpg
    186.5 KB · Views: 91
Looks like you have a few different types of algea growing on the rocks around the coral too. You don't want to look for a critter to clean the algae, you want to improve your water quality to prevent the algae from growing in the first place. Anything that eats the algae will only poop it back out and the nutrient cycle will continue.

You should be running a good, high quality protein skimmer, run a high quality carbon to remove dissolved orgaincs, run GFO (granluar ferric oxide) to remove phosphates, do weekly 20% water changes to get your excessive nutrient problem under control and only use RO/DI water for water changes and top offs.

You could also dose with vodka. I just started and can't wait for results! I'll try to find a good article on sec

Back
Top Bottom