red slime removal?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Brooklyn2la

Aquarium Advice Regular
My friend has a 12 gal tank that now has red slime. I told him to change 10% WC every 4-6 days- he hasn't. Now he has red slime on most of the LR. How can he get rid of it- besides the obvious WC.

Without killing everything else in the tank, he can't really get rid of it without water changes permanently. You can't clean the bathroom by just spraying Lysol and leaving the room. You're going to have to scrub a little and run some water!

There are some companies that make red slime remover chemiclean is one ultralife is another you do need to follow the directions to a tee.After he treats the tank he should be better at housekeeping such as water changes and filter cleaning so it doesn't come back again and has to resort to chemicals. If you put red slime on youtube you can watch some videos about these solutions.

Nopox for red slime?

I was told to try a new biological nitrate and phosphate reducer that will help eliminate the red slime. Anyone else out there try N0POX by Red Sea?

I was told to try a new biological nitrate and phosphate reducer that will help eliminate the red slime. Anyone else out there try N0POX by Red Sea?

I use NoPoX and it works well. But it only works on reducing the symptoms of cyano/red slime: nitrates and phosphates. It does not remove cyano. While NoPoX is imo/ime a good product, it won't make your cyano problem dissapear.

Cyano is mostly caused by overfeeding (amount each feeding and/or feeding times). Your best bet is to reduce your feeding times and amounts.

Back
Top Bottom