Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-28-2004, 10:32 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Redish, Purpleish Bacteria

Hello All -

This is my first post to this site. I have a question for all about my saltwater tank. My tank (46gal) is a mix between reef (28lbs of live rock and 40lbs of live sand) and fish (8 fish) and I am having problems with a certain kind of red bacteria. I have been told by my local saltwater experts that it is called cyno (sp) bacteria. It is a hard, redish, purpleish growth that is taking over the rock, some of the sand and the walls of the tank. I have an emperor 400, two jet pumps to move the water and a protein skimmer. Does anyone know how to clean this bacteria up completely? Please help.

Gary

Old 09-28-2004, 12:17 PM   #2
steve-s

Re: Redish, Purpleish Bacteria

Quote:
Originally Posted by garygrzy
It is a hard, redish, purpleish growth that is taking over the rock, some of the sand and the walls of the tank.
Cyanobacteria is not hard, it's slimey and quite gooey to the touch and will wipe off with ease. It sounds more like coralline algae which is hard (unless velvet coralline) and must be scraped off. Can you post a pic?

Cheers
Steve
Old 09-28-2004, 12:42 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

is coraline algae not good for the reef? My tank is two months old and the rock is starting to take on different colors of purple, red and some green.
1 regal tang
1 pink spotted goby
40 pds lr
cleaners: 2 cleaner schrimp, 7 blue hermitts
7 scarlett hermitts,2 american star snails
1 brittle serpent star,
20-25 snails
8965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2004, 01:48 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Coraline is good for the tank. Velvet is not.
Old 09-28-2004, 01:54 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to RocketSeason
Coraline is both very good and very pretty!!!!

You should feel lucky, many people don't have enough of it and their rock looks dead.

YOu will need to remove it from the sides of your glass though, this is where your razor blades will come in handy.

post some pics so we can determine if it is infact coraline algea or not.
Hardware: 37 gallon SW tank and stand by Oceanic Systems, Magnum 350 Pro Canister Filter (half carbon), CPR Bak Pak 2R skimmer, Maxijet 1200 Powerhead, RenaCal 150 W heater, Compact fluorescent lights with moonlights. 40 lbs of liverock, 3" sand bed.

Software:2 Tank-Raised Ocellaris Clowns, 1 Purple Firefish, 1 Electric Orange hermit crab, 18 Blue Legged hermit crabs, 8 or so Nassarius snails, Xenia, Blue, green, and Green Striped Mushrooms.

Click here to vote for AquariumAdvice.com: The friendliest, fishiest place on the net!

Central Illinois Marane Aquarist (CIMA) member.
RocketSeason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2004, 02:51 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Newbie

bacteria

I will post a pic to show all of you. Yes the bacteria is hard, not soft at all. I will get a pic to show all of you in the next day or so..I have to get my camera back from my brother.
Old 09-28-2004, 04:46 PM   #7
steve-s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearfan
Coraline is good for the tank. Velvet is not.
Actually there is a species of coralline that has a velvety texture and is just as beneficial as regular coralline, nothing wrong with it. Most times it will grow in the shadowed area's of the tank and does not like strong light.

Cheers
Steve
Old 09-28-2004, 04:52 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Newbie

bacteria

Do you have a pic of this coraline?..I wonder if what I am facing is the same that you are talking about..yours sounds much nicer then what i am facing
Old 09-28-2004, 04:59 PM   #9
steve-s

Sorry no pics at the moment but I can try and get a pic later. I have some beneath my Ritteri anemone if I can get a clear pic (and the camera co-operates). The easiest way to determine cyano from coralline is run your finger across it. If coralline, you would end up damaging your finger nail to even scrape a small bit. If cyano, it will slide off onto your finger quite easily.

Cheers
Steve
Old 10-01-2004, 11:56 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Bacteria

Hello Steve -

Based on your last post and the definition of coraline that is what i have. I did some looking around at some of the pics on this site and they have what I am seeing my tank. Do you know of some way to remove this from the tank? Please advise.

Tags
bacteria

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com