Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 05-29-2011, 07:27 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Regular
You can give it a go it can't do no harm if it don't work just put them back in your mane tank

Bigfish84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 07:35 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

could do harm to the shrimp. they are extremely sensitive to different waters, mainly the salinty of the water

Gti_Leo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 08:06 PM   #13
One gallon would be a way to guarantee horrible water quality and further problems. If the fish isn't stressed it won't be sick. If it is cramming it in a corner with a cleaner may get the current parasites off, but won't fix your problem.
Fishguy2727 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 09:42 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Thanks guys. I put the one gal inside my main tank. I was able to get the shrimp in there but I'm unable to get the gramma as he hides inside the LR. Im at the point of frustration and am probably creating more stress for the fish. From the sounds of your advice my best bet is to just try to keep the water clean, try to get him to eat, and hope for the best.
LizArd418 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 10:21 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Freak
It's tough getting a little guy out of reef to medicate and QT. I could never rearrange all of my hard work for the sake of it. I know I am stating the obvious (And I think it was mentioned prior), but hyposalinity is not a good idea for obvious reasons. Inverts don't like the SG drop below 1.019. I have never put much faith in chemical cures advertised to get rid of ich in a reef tank simply because anything that is not strong enough to kill inverts, is probably not strong enough to erradicate the parasite.

If I were in the same predicament, I would do water changes every couple days for the next couple weeks--say 1/3 of the volume. I would also improve surface agitation with an extra power head. I used to get garlic extract at the lfs (A little pricey) and soak a frozen cube in it for a couple minutes prior to feeding--I believe that this keeps the desire to eat on point and I feel that it is important for the immunity and slime coat of the fish. Many people would disagree and state garlic as just a homeopathic mythical hobby remedy. Last but not least, I would say a prayer every night before bed. Hope it works out for your little guys there.

As a side note, the best I have ever done to stop an outbreak was to keep the other inhabitants that were healthy, in tact. I usually lost the fish that showed the signs initially, no matter how hard I tried with increased tank maintenance.

Mr. Crabs is offline   Reply With Quote

ich, reef

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com