ReefRunner69, I Need Help FAST!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

stresco

Aquarium Advice Addict
Kevin, Yesterday you said "the thing to look for with the seriatopora is RTN, and bleaching". Well yest, it looked like it was a little bleaching and i thought it was just from the stress of going from PC lighting to MH. Tonight, i came home and the Birdsnest looks much worse. Is there anything I can do for it? Is it too late? Should i move it lower into the tank. Right now it is at the top of the tank with moderate to light flow. Please help. What should I do?

is that a recent pic? It doesn't appear to be RTN's, just a couple of bare spots. When you say it looks worse, what exactly is it doing that's got you concerned. If it was in PC and you moved it to MH, and what appears to be the top of the tank....I would highly recommend you move it to the bottom.

If you are noticing the flesh actually stripping from the coral, as the pictures title would suggest, then all you can do is frag. I would dip any frags in a lugols dip at 40 drops per gallon, or 15 drops per liter.

Thank you for such a fast response. Yes that is a recent pic, i took it minutes ago. It looks worse to me than it did yest, because i can see more bare spots than before. The small bare area, doesnt have the fleshy looking speckles like the rest of the coral.

Well, like I said, it doesn't look like RTN, yet, to me from the photos, but you would know it, more and more flesh would be gone, very quickly. Right now, I would dip the coral in a coral dip or lugols dip and move it to the bottom.

I moved it into the sand at the bottom of my tank. The lights are out, so i will check it out in the morn, when i get up. If it looks worse, i guess i have start fragging it :( I dont have any Lugols but i do have kent Iodine, is that good enough?

Probably not. Not to mention, I don't know the dosage for a safe dip. You might look into a coral dip, kent and seachem both make them.

Ack. It will have to wait till i get home from work tomorrow, and there is no garentee that the LFSs will have it.

you can maybe get lugols from the pharmacy. That's where I get mine, it's like 15.00 for a quart, the lfs sells it for 10.00 for an oz. Not all pharmacies will keep it in stock, so call around and ask different pharmacies. If your LFS doesn't have the more manageable size or the coral dip.

I stopped by the LFS that i bought the BirdsNest from at luchtime today because its only 2 miles from my job and asked if they had any Reef Dip. They owner Louis, told me "no" he didnt have any and asked what it needed it for. I told him i was concerned about the BirdsNest that i got on Sat, that i thougt it was sick and might be stripping. He Immediatly pulls another BirdsNest coral out of his main tank (Same size as mine) and says "here, put this in your tank. If this one starts to strip too, you need to start looking at your water." 8O :? :D Very Very cool if yous ask me? Then he gives me half a bottle of Lugols Solution for free and further discounts a bottle of MarinePlankton and silver slides (which i was going to buy anyway).

I think I may have finally found a winner of a LFS! :BIG:

Very good business. That kinda thing will definetly get return customers... How is the New one doing so far?

James

LOL I guess I could have asked how Both of them were doing.. LOL...

James

I just got home and am drip acclimating the new one now. As soon as i have dripped a gal or so of water into the bucket i will add 40 drops of Lugols and soke the old and the new ones in the dip.

with moderate to light flow

These corals need very high flow/turbulent water. The structure of their polyps turns their flesh almost velvety - 'velcro-y', and they are very subject to accumulating algae & detritus because of this. If the current/water movement is not sufficient to flush this from the coral, they can easily succumb to RTN.

Thanks for the replies. Here is a pic of the 2 birdsnest corals in my tank. I have them directly under a 175watt MH Bulb and a PW pointing directly at them. I have oredered 2 new Maxijet 1200 to add the tank for more flow.

Back
Top Bottom