!!!REFUGIUM!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

macman7010

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I just moved my 35 gallon saltwater reef over to a fifty gallon tank. The inhabitants are as follows:

1 Feather Duster Worm

1 Red Fire Shrimp
1 Skunk Cleaner Shrimp
1 Coral Banded Shrimp
1 Peppermint Shrimp

1 Porcelean Crab
1 Emrald Mithrix Crab
Various Hermits

1 Coral Beauty Angelfish
1 Ehbli Dwarf Angel (They get along well suprisingly)
1 Sailfin Tang
2 Percula Clownfish
1 Royal Gramma
1 Firefish Goby
1 Lawnmower Blenny
1 Six Line Wrasse

1 Long Tentacle Anemone
1 Flowerpot Coral
1 Bubble Coral
1 Colony Polyp
2 Rocks of Green Star Polyps
2 Stocks of Pumping Xenia
1 Fiji Toadstool Leather
1 Mushroom Rock
some others I cant remember off hand

45 pds of live rock and a maxima clam

Salintiy : 1.025
Calcium : High 600 working on bringing it down
Ph: 8.5

I want to add a refugium to my tank. I am a little unsure of what purpose a refugium plays other than for isolating sick corals, culturing copods and better filtration. I am trying to decide whether to order a CPR hang on back refugium or use a 29 gallon tank I have and get an overflow kit to make a refugium. If I use an overflow I am fuzzy on how to get water back into the tank, I know the overflow takes it out but how does it get back in. I dont want to drill so I am thinking the hang on back CPR deal may work best.

Other than that I am unsure how to set up a refegium. I am guessing mineral mud, live sand, rock etc. Any ideas or links on this topic would be great.

thanks.[/b]

do a search for refuge their are many ways you could set it up. I'm using
a 29 gal on my 58 it works great. except for the skimmer I have no other
filtration.

The return line from the fuge to the tank will be by a pump and will determine the rate of flow from the overflow as well. For me the biggest benefit of the fuge was macro algae for nutrient export and increased water volume for stability. Check the attached link for some more info. The animated drawing may help explain the overflow and return.

http://www.melevsreef.com/what_sump.html

I just set a fuge up for my system but I pump the water out of my wet/dry and into my fuge. Then the return back out of my fuge and into the wet/dry is gravity fed. I don't have enough light over my fuge to nurse anything (other than my macro algae) but I keep the macro in there to help fight nitrates. I also have a DSB in there. No mud in mine (not for any good reason, I just don't).

Wow! I just looked at your stocking list... What size tank are you going to upgrade to after the 50?! That sailfin needs a minimum of 125g tank. Did you know he grows to 1'4"?! By my best guess you have about 35" of fish in your 50g tank... Most recommend 1" of fish per 5g of water. How do you keep your ammo, trite and trate in check?

Back
Top Bottom