Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-03-2005, 06:34 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Regal tang behavior??

I had two cinnamon clowns in a 30 gal QT tank. One of them started picking on the other bad so I separated them. I figured it was just that they were stuck in a small QT tank. I introd. them to the main this weekend. A day later the dominate clown started picking on the weaker one again. The regal is sitting back watching this, after a while the regal starts jumping in front of the aggressive clown when it would come after the other clown. If they are swimming together it leaves them alone. If one start picking on the other it will intercept it and chase it to the other end of the tank. Is this normal behavior for a regal tang? I also had another weird occurence over the weekend. I had added two peppermint shrimp in the tank due to having several aptasia. (which they ate). I also have a niger trigger which I thought would have them for lunch. Yesterday the trigger is sitting in front of one of the shrimp and the shrimp it hitting the trigger in the head with its antennas. The trigger just sits there opening and closing its mouth as wide as it can. The shrimp walks forward and the trigger swims off. PS The trigger is given a piece of krill every other day between normal tank feedings so he is never "hungry". Also the shrimp were in the main 6 weeks prior to the trigger.

Old 10-03-2005, 06:45 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Hey Brenden,

I know in the wild, cleaner shrimp setup cleaning stations to take care of some of the most aggressive fish. Was the Niger Trigger in there before the shrimp? Sometimes this can make a difference.
That is nice that your Regal is taking care of your Clown there.

Mike

Old 10-03-2005, 06:55 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Shrimp were in the tank 5-6 weeks before the trigger. It was a peppermint not a cleaner shrimp
Old 10-03-2005, 07:48 PM   #4
steve-s

Depends on the size of each really. Nigers will be somewhat "tamer" while very young but for the most part your pepps are on "borrowed time". Occassionally you can introduce a fish like that well after the inverts and sometimes it leaves them alone. Chances are not in their favor though.

As for the Regal, never seen it myself but IMO, the fish is psycotic to begin with so it doesn't suprise me.

Cheers
Steve
Old 10-03-2005, 07:57 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
As for the Regal, never seen it myself but IMO, the fish is psycotic to begin with so it doesn't suprise me.
So, it sounds like Dori was accurately portrayed in the movie "Finding Nemo" LOL
Old 10-03-2005, 08:06 PM   #6
steve-s

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyReefMan
Quote:
So, it sounds like Dori was accurately portrayed in the movie "Finding Nemo" LOL
If the one I have (almost 5 yrs now) is any indication, they downplayed it in the movie... LOL

Cheers
Steve
Old 10-03-2005, 09:32 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

one of my peppermints will clean my hand just like a cleaner shrimp

steve r
Old 10-03-2005, 10:29 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

The Trigger probably doesn't know the difference between a cleaner or a pepermint.

Mike
Old 10-05-2005, 12:31 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to StripesTheEel
My Regal tang is a PSYCHO!! Finding Nemo was definately downplayed as Steve suggested..
StripesTheEel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2005, 02:07 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to greenmaji
OMG.. I was wanting a Regal tang.. does there "psycho" behavior cause any serious problems?

Tags
behavior, tan, tang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com