Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-14-2004, 08:38 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

regal tang ICH

Exactly how do you do a freshwater dip. Is it just plain water, no salt? What about ph? I assume the dechlorinator part. How long on average? She's been in Qt since I got her two weeks ago.

http://www.aquarank.com/in.php?id=fishfree
electrikat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2004, 09:07 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to quarryshark
If she is in qt, you shouldn't have to dip her. You can treat for ich with hypo or cupramine. Dips are stressfull and in a qt setting, I don't see the point in doing one.
its explained here
http://www.petsforum.com/personal/tr...marineich.html

Old 09-14-2004, 10:18 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

I agree, skip the dip! It can't kill parasites that burrow into the skin anyway! Read other posts here about cupramine or hyposalinity treatment (requires a refractometer).
Old 09-20-2004, 05:41 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular

i disagree i did a fresh water dip yesterday and if done right its not to stressfull on the fish at all. i have found that copper if not done just right can cause more problems than good.
as for ph use 1 TBS spoon per gallon of baking soda to raise your ph to tank conditions, and salt, and water temp a perfect match
i hope i was not to late with this but i hope it helps
michael
Old 09-20-2004, 07:14 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

well I did another post on this because the white "ich" has turned brown and looks like the same diatom algae that's on the glass and sand. Any idea?
Old 09-20-2004, 07:50 PM   #6
steve-s

Quote:
Originally Posted by border324
i disagree i did a fresh water dip yesterday and if done right its not to stressfull on the fish at all. i have found that copper if not done just right can cause more problems than good.
True if done correctly FW dips can be beneficial but they also need to used for the right circumstances. If the fish is already in the QT, dipping the fish would be unneccessary unless heavily infested. As far as the copper is concerned, that can be true of any med used so as long as the directions are followed exactly, it shouldn't be an issue. It really depends on the sensitivity of the animal.

Quote:
as for ph use 1 TBS spoon per gallon of baking soda to raise your ph to tank conditions, and salt, and water temp a perfect match
Even 1 tspn per gallon would kill the fish 8O

Cheers
Steve
Old 09-20-2004, 07:52 PM   #7
steve-s

Quote:
Originally Posted by electrikat
well I did another post on this because the white "ich" has turned brown and looks like the same diatom algae that's on the glass and sand. Any idea?
Never heard of this to tell you the truth. Any chance of a pic?

Cheers
Steve
Old 09-21-2004, 10:35 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

The guy that owns the lfs I use alot says it looks like some kind of fungus or infection caused by the original outbreak of ich. I think she'll probably die tonight. He gave me some coppersafe as a last ditch effort to save her but she is pretty much just laying on the bottom and breathing heavy. But on the bright side she was that way before when the ich had her and she came back from that for about a week till the fungus or whatever got ahold. We'll see. If she's still alive tomorrow then maybe she's a fighter.
Old 09-21-2004, 10:48 PM   #9
steve-s

If you have it available, do a large water change will well aged SW being sure to maintain treatment strength of what your using. The coppersafe is not going to have any effect on bacterial or fungal infections so I wouldn't use it. I don't know what you have been using to combat the C. irritans thus far but you should be very careful of mixing meds. FWIW, you could also try some Furacyn at 30 mg/gal as a last ditch effort. It's a 3 day treatment and usually fast acting and can be used with copper meds.

What have you been doing to treat the ich thus far?

Cheers
Steve
Old 09-21-2004, 11:08 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Kick ich because it's reef safe and I had it from the last ich outbreak.

Tags
ich, tan, tang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com