Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-14-2004, 10:34 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Regular

You know what one more question? If it is in fact fungus is it contagious, will it move to the other fish in the tank? Does anyone know where I can get some information on this for Diagnosis and Treatment. I tried several searches late last night but came up empty.

Thanks

Old 12-14-2004, 11:00 AM   #12
steve-s

E-mail the picture to me and I will post it for you after work unless you can do it before the next hour or so.... steve-s at aquariumadvice.com (sub the at for @ and no spaces, fools the web bots)

Could very well be a fungus or some sort of parasite mabye. Doesn't sound like your typical problems though. As far as the problem spreading, most fungal problems are usually bacterial in nature and while the other fish can catch it they rarley do. It depends on the individual health of a fish and it's environment.

Just incase the pics don't lead anywhere, try adding some more detail.

Do any of the white hairs show any sign of independant movement?
What if anything has been added after you got the tang: fish, invert or otherwise?
What was the last fish added and time between fish additions?
Does the overall appearance of the problem seem to look the same each day or does it wax/wane?

Also, is your QT ready to use? Cycling would not be a concern if treatment is needed.

Cheers
Steve
Old 12-14-2004, 02:29 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Regular

The hairs do not appear to move location wise on the body. They are visible from the middle of the fish to the tail one side of her has thicker hairs than the other.

It pretty well looks the same as it did.

My tank has been fishless for the past 6 weeks due to an ich quarentine. I put the tang, a shrimp goby, 2 clowns and a fire fish in the tank sunday. all were qt'd together for the 6 weeks.

The qt tank that she came out of is still running.

I used coppersafe in the qt tank I am concerned that may have caused it. The hairs were not visible while she was in qt or the night I put her into the main tank. The next morning boom she was covered.

Nothing has been added to the tank since the QT started 6 weeks ago.

Thanks for the help
John
Old 12-14-2004, 07:37 PM   #14
steve-s

Tangs and copper do not mix well as a rule. In future if needing to treat for C. irritans opt for hyposalinity. If a copper med is still needed, then look for Cupramine by Seachem. Much better tolerated by a wide variety of copper sensitive fish. Also be sure to get the corresponding multi-copper test kit by Seachem. The ammonia alert badge is also a +

Sounds like it's either bacterial or possibley a true fungal infection but I would lean towrds bactrerial (vibrio). The scales of the fish are most likely standing up making it look much worse. If the other fish have not shown any signs, most likely they won't.

Since the tang has already been through a rough time I'd hate to see it go back in the QT but I think you should and treat it with Maracyn II at double the dose daily for seven full days. It will also help to soak the foods in the Maracyn. Remove some QT water to predissolve the med and then take a few tspn of that to soak the foods in. Be sure that you keep a close eye on water quality and medicate any change water before use. Make sure there is no copper remaining from the last treatment and no carbon.

If no Maracyn II is available then Nitrofurazone (Furacyn) at 30mg/gal for 3 days.

Cheers
Steve
Old 12-14-2004, 10:42 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Regular

Thanks Steve,

I appreciate your advice and quick response. I will fetch her out of the main tonight and treat in qt. I feel bad for her she showed no signs of problems in the QT.

On a positive note she looks much better than she has previously. I would say that half of whatever was on her is gone now.

Thanks Again,

John
Old 12-14-2004, 11:19 PM   #16
steve-s

No worries, based on the pic you sent (won't post, not that clear) there are several areas that look like little black pimples. These are often the result of the parasites damage and can lead to a secondary infection. Treat the fish and you should be fine. Be sure to feed fortified foods high in [acronym="Highly Unsaturated Fatty Acid"]HUFA[/acronym] and spurlina. If possible also find some Beta Glucan (health food store). It is also an ingredient in Ocean Nutrition Formula foods if available at your LFS.

Cheers
Steve
Old 01-01-2005, 08:27 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Regular

My next question is how long should I leave my Blue Tang in QT? I treated with the maracyn (double dose for a week). and observered for about another week with no further medications. She is doing great, eating well, the fuzzy hairy things are gone. She still has some markings on her body but color is looking better everday.

Thanks in Advance and Happy Holidays

John
Old 01-01-2005, 11:05 PM   #18
steve-s

Great to hear!!

You should be able to transfer the tang back to the main anytime. The black marks may take some time to disappear completey though. Just be sure you keep up with the water changes and forified foods.

Happy Holidays to you as well...
Cheers
Steve

Tags
tan, tang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com