Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-12-2004, 05:56 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Regal Tang Needs Help

My regal tang is covered with what appears to be white hairs. It is on the sides and the tail. It looks like she has long fur. Does anyone know what it is? I had a dog once that had a run in with a porcupine and this looks similar to that.

Old 12-13-2004, 12:39 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Can you send some pics with it? I'm not sure. When did you get him, or how long have you had him? These Regals are quite demanding, but absolutely gorgeous fish!

Mike

Old 12-13-2004, 02:09 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Man, I have no idea but I am interested to know because I have a regal also. Hopefully some of our experienced "fish doctors" will chime in with an answer. In the mean it would be very useful if you could provide some more info on the fish and your setup. Here are the questions to answer (from the sticky)

"1. How long have you had the fish? Do you know if it was wild caught, or tank raised?
2. How long has the fish been in the tank? What are the tank mates? Any aggression?
3. Is the fish eating? If so what does it eat?
4. What are the water parameters? pH, ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, SPG? What saltwater test kit are you using?
5. Is the fish showing any physical signs of disease, grain of salt size spots, discoloration, ragged fins, misting or spots on the fins, cuts, cloudy eyes, etc?
6. Is the fish "flashing" (scratching or rubbing on rocks, decorations or substrate)?
7. How is the fish acting? Is it swimming around, or just hovering in one spot or corner of the tank?
8. Did you use quarantine? If so for how long and did you have a need to treat for any ailments? Is it in qt now? Are you currently treating with any medication(s)?
9. What size system? What type of filtration do you use? Do you have any live rock or sand?
10. Do you use any additives? Have you used any sort of meds in the main tank?"
Old 12-13-2004, 11:15 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular

If someone will let me know what I need to do to post a picture I will do that. I tried once before in a different thread and it did not work. I think I need it turned on or something. At any rate I checked him this morning and they were still present.

The tang just came out of a six week ich quarentine along with a shrimp goby, 2 clowns, and a firefish. He went into the main tank which is a 125, looked great swam around went into some live rock for the night and when he came out the next day he had fur.

At any rate I will answer all of the other questions later at home cant do right now at work. I will say the ammonia is 0, ph is around 8.3 Nitrite 0 and nitrates 2.5
Old 12-13-2004, 10:20 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular

I have had the tang for about 4months. It is not rubbing on any of the live rock at all. In all honesty whatever is on her doesnt look like it is affecting the way she swims and she is eating like normal. However her body is a very pale blue where the hairs are attached.

I was treating the quarantine Tank with Copper safe do you think this could be some sort of reaction from that? I dont know I am guessing. I have 2 others A blue ringed angel and a royal gramma that I need to get out of another qt tank but I am afraid to do that with her condition the way it is. Plus I dont know if it would spread to the others, so far it hasnt.

I have searched the web for diseases and illnesses but I have not come across anything that describes what I am seeing on my Regal Tang.

Tank Setup - The tank has been running since April 1st 2004
I have a wet/dry 125 plumbed to a 20 gallon long tank which contains a turbo floater multi skimmer. Currently I am not using any filter media such as carbon or chemipure etc. I have a Quite One 4000 and a Mag drive 7 returning the water from the wetdry sump combo and a single U tube over flow and a double CPR overflow supplying the wet dry and sump. I also have 1 maxi jet 1200 running inside the tank which from what I have read I am going to add a couple more of those to increase flow. The tank has about 75 lbs of live rock at this time a couple dozen assorted snails, 6 hermits, 2 cleaner and 1 blood red shrimp. The Substrate is a combination of Crushed Coral and Marine Sand.
Old 12-13-2004, 10:33 PM   #6
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to loganj
It's hard to say without pics, and I'm far from an expert on fish diseases, but this sounds like some type of fungus. Fungal infections are usually indicated by a white/gray fuzzy growth. I'm not sure what you'd treat a tang with if it were fungal in nature though.
Old 12-13-2004, 11:52 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

If you can submit a picture, Steve S. can most likely identify it for you. Sounds like fungus to me as well. I have seen fungus fall off, and some say you can actually pick it off with sterilized tweezers, but I have not done it, nor witnessed it.

Mike
Old 12-13-2004, 11:57 PM   #8
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to loganj
Quote:
Originally Posted by Salttanker
If you can submit a picture, Steve S. can most likely identify it for you. Mike
Very true. Steve is very good at that sort of thing. I'll send him a PM and ask him to take a look at this post.
Old 12-14-2004, 12:04 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Regular

Well I attempted to get a picture tonight but that was easier said than done. Just a Blurry Blue Streak. I will try and get a picture posted in the Mean time I will keep an eye on the water quality and see how it goes.

Thanks for the help thus far
Old 12-14-2004, 10:32 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Regular

I have some pictures they are not the greatest but I think you can make out what I am trying to explain. If you guys want to see them I will email them to you I cant seem to figure out how to post them to the site. My office may be blocking that not sure.

My email address is jwright000@chartermi.net. email me and I will send you the pics thanks.

John

Tags
tan, tang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com