Regal tang question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have to feed the tank that the regal is in with something other than veg and seaweed stuff though as I have a velvet dottieback in there too...he wont eat the seaweed stuff. I feed both of my tanks every other day with mysis....
So if this is the case, what do I do now? What do I feed the tank if I cant feed mysis? arg!! sorry for being a pain! And I am using the Zoe so this is good. Whats something good with fatty acids? And whats something with "sprulina"....I ask you as I dont trust the LFS here....I dont they even know what fatty acids are!! :lol:

The mysis is fine if the tang eats it but be sure it gets a good vitamin soaking first. It just shouldn't be every feeding. I forgot you had two fish in there.

As far as the spurlina, there are many flake foods that will contain it and mention it specifically in the ingredient list as well as Nori being a natural source. If you are unable to get Zoecon or Selcon for [acronym="Highly Unsaturated Fatty Acid"]HUFA[/acronym] content, look for foods that specifically mention it in the ingredient list like Ocean Nutrition and Omega One.

Cheers
Steve

Ok.. I will try and change up the content as to what Im feeding the QT tank. I bought some of the Zoe vitamins the other day and have been soaking all of the fishes food in it for like 30-45 minutes then mixing it with SW from the main tank and then pouring small amts in there for them to eat.
Also I think I have some flake food at home like you mentioned. Will look at the ingred. Also the tang REALLY likes the mysis...he sucks it down as fast as you can put it in there! Dont know if this is normal or not but he does like it.
I have seaweed which I assume is the same as Nori???

Krill is high in [acronym="Highly Unsaturated Fatty Acid"]HUFA[/acronym] and try to feed him Macro Algae since thats what they eat in the wild. Maybe red glacerleria. HOPE I SPELLED IT RIGHT LOL.

No Nori is way more nutritional than regular seaweed, I would try to get Nori, if not you should get the Juliang Springs sea Veggie sheets which are rich in vitamins.

Fishboy-from-NY said:
try to feed him Macro Algae since thats what they eat in the wild. Maybe red glacerleria. HOPE I SPELLED IT RIGHT LOL.
Very true on the gracilaria but avoid caulerpa species. They are not good for fish in general and especially not a sick tang.

Cheers
Steve

just curious??? Where do you guys get all of your food and such like you have mentioned above?? I really dont think the guys around in my area carry the stuff I need....do you order on line or LFS? If on line, what companies?

My LFS is kinda unique. It's both online and local. All my dry goods are delivered ( free shipping) and anything live I go in person. Being from Canada, I doubt it would be of any benefit though.

If your looking for good "on line" e-tailers, start a new thread asking others for their recommendations. I am also sure if you PM the same question to our sponsors you should get some decent responses as well.

Cheers
Steve

Good idea on sending PM and asking for reccomendations.....and nice setup for you with regards to the LFS!!! Wish I had the same here. You would think in the Dallas TX area there would be a lot to choose from, but theres not.
Thanks for the help.

Steve/Someone
I still am having issues with the tang. I have been feeding hims LOTS of the algea on a clip, enhanced brine, garlic extrac, Selcon, Zoe, vitamin C to the water each day, ect. Also I have done 2 water changes this week as well. He is eating like a pig and swimming around like nothing is wrong. Also I am pretty sure all of the copper is gone now as I have run carbon for 2-3 nights.
Heres the deal. Its in a 20 gallon tank. When I look at the tang under the light, his whole body looks fine. Even his face isnt as pitted as it was BUT the face portion under the light looks like its white. Its not I know, but where it should be black, its faded bad and also under the eye and down along the line of the gill (guess this is the lateral line) its turning red now. What in the heck am I doing wrong?? Without looking close at him, you would think everything is ok. Ive seen his scrap against the PVC from time to time but not often. Also from time to time he seems to "shake a little". All I have is a heater that isnt submersed, an airstone, and a HOB biowheel. I dont know that stray current is a factor. The PH last time I checked was 8.3. Temp about 82. Would doing a water change effect him this way? I matched the temp and SG.
Im at a loss. I really want to put him in the main tank but dont want to if he has something. Hope I covered everything....sorry for so many questions.

I get my Macro algae from my refuguim, if you don't have any you can order at Liveaquaria.com or many other websites online. as for my nori, I get it from a japanese restaurant around my way and the other veggie flakes I order online at Petsolutions.com

Fish
I will work on getting some Macro from Liveaquaria.com..In the meantime, Im thinking of putting the regal in the main tank tonight. he isnt looking any better and I am sure its HLLE. He doesnt have an infection to this point, so I dont think it will hurt to put him in there. Thats my question and concern. Im doing all of the right things but dont know why his color isnt any better.

Cool, just be on the look out with him and make sure his diet is full of Vitamin c and Selcon vitamins, you will see his color come back and the HLLE stop and slowly cure, but it does take time.

Im adding vitamin C to the water daily, garlic, selcon, Zoe, feeding the listed things above, etc. I dont know that I have missed anything have I?
Also what macro do you use? Also I dont have a refug so where can I keep this stuff?? How much do you feed?

fishman said:
Im adding vitamin C to the water daily, garlic, selcon, Zoe, feeding the listed things above, etc.

You sould be putting the Vitamin C in the food not in the water since fish don't absorb nutrients from the water only from their food. As for what Macro & use, it called tang heaven gracilleria you can buy it at Liveaquaria.com under marine plants. also, Thier is a supplement I add in my tank that's great for open wounds and that helped majorly with the HLLE my fish had which is
called fish solution from ECO systems.

You should be fine putting the tang back in the main tank. The reason for leaving it in the QT was not to allow the HLLE to get better but be sure the C. irritans was not recurring and no secondary infection developed from the HLLE. Both of which don't seem like their going to happen so it should be all good. The HLLE is still going to take time to heal so don't expect immediate results. As I said earlier, there may be a good chance of scaring so be careful you do not mistake that for the problem persisiting.

Just be sure when you move the tang over, you acclimate it like any new fish. Play it safe and don't get any QT water in the display if you can help it.

As far as the macro algae, be sure it is not a caulerpa. Feeding tangs macro algaes can be good depending on species but caulerpa's should be avoided. If your unsure, stick with Nori.

I dont know that I have missed anything have I?
Also what macro do you use? Also I dont have a refug so where can I keep this stuff?? How much do you feed?
Actually you've done just fine so far. If you do not have a seperate system for the macro algae, you can keep it in the main tank but you run a large risk of it spreading and becoming quite a nuisance. In all honestly feeding macro's is no better than Nori and for the hassle you may be in for, something you might just want to avoid.

Cheers
Steve

Ok thanks to both of you this morning. It has been 1 week and 1 day now since I remove the copper with carbon and I have done 4 water changes of 5-8 gallons since that time too. The only thing that bothers me is he is still flashing but not a lot at all. And when he does it, its on his face that hes doing it. I really think hes ok-I hope to put in the tank. And yes I will acclimate him very slowly. I may take extra long tonight to do it. The more I read, I think the QT is wearing on him. And yes NO QT water in the main water.
I think the next issue Im going to have is I have a yellow wrasse that LOVES the nori stuff too as well as a damsel so the regal is going to have to get in there and eat like a maniac to get some when I move him over. May have to put 2 clips in there.
Thanks again for all the help. If you can think of anything else let me know

UPDATE: Wanted to let everyone know that this soaking of the food and vitamins, etc works! My regal has 50-75% of his color back and is doing well in the main tank. Plus a lot of the pits from the HLLE has healed too. I think he is going to have some scarring but will be minimal. So this DOES work if you have HLLE issues.
Thanks to all!

Back
Top Bottom