Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-30-2004, 11:05 AM   #21
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to fishman
I have to feed the tank that the regal is in with something other than veg and seaweed stuff though as I have a velvet dottieback in there too...he wont eat the seaweed stuff. I feed both of my tanks every other day with mysis....
So if this is the case, what do I do now? What do I feed the tank if I cant feed mysis? arg!! sorry for being a pain! And I am using the Zoe so this is good. Whats something good with fatty acids? And whats something with "sprulina"....I ask you as I dont trust the LFS here....I dont they even know what fatty acids are!!

Old 07-30-2004, 11:17 AM   #22
steve-s

The mysis is fine if the tang eats it but be sure it gets a good vitamin soaking first. It just shouldn't be every feeding. I forgot you had two fish in there.

As far as the spurlina, there are many flake foods that will contain it and mention it specifically in the ingredient list as well as Nori being a natural source. If you are unable to get Zoecon or Selcon for [acronym="Highly Unsaturated Fatty Acid"]HUFA[/acronym] content, look for foods that specifically mention it in the ingredient list like Ocean Nutrition and Omega One.

Cheers
Steve
Old 07-30-2004, 11:25 AM   #23
Aquarium Advice Addict

Ok.. I will try and change up the content as to what Im feeding the QT tank. I bought some of the Zoe vitamins the other day and have been soaking all of the fishes food in it for like 30-45 minutes then mixing it with SW from the main tank and then pouring small amts in there for them to eat.
Also I think I have some flake food at home like you mentioned. Will look at the ingred. Also the tang REALLY likes the mysis...he sucks it down as fast as you can put it in there! Dont know if this is normal or not but he does like it.
I have seaweed which I assume is the same as Nori???
Old 07-30-2004, 12:03 PM   #24
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via Yahoo to Fishboy-from-NY
Krill is high in [acronym="Highly Unsaturated Fatty Acid"]HUFA[/acronym] and try to feed him Macro Algae since thats what they eat in the wild. Maybe red glacerleria. HOPE I SPELLED IT RIGHT LOL.
Old 07-30-2004, 12:05 PM   #25
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via Yahoo to Fishboy-from-NY
No Nori is way more nutritional than regular seaweed, I would try to get Nori, if not you should get the Juliang Springs sea Veggie sheets which are rich in vitamins.
Old 07-30-2004, 12:31 PM   #26
steve-s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishboy-from-NY
try to feed him Macro Algae since thats what they eat in the wild. Maybe red glacerleria. HOPE I SPELLED IT RIGHT LOL.
Very true on the gracilaria but avoid caulerpa species. They are not good for fish in general and especially not a sick tang.

Cheers
Steve
Old 07-30-2004, 01:47 PM   #27
Aquarium Advice Addict

just curious??? Where do you guys get all of your food and such like you have mentioned above?? I really dont think the guys around in my area carry the stuff I need....do you order on line or LFS? If on line, what companies?
Old 07-30-2004, 03:38 PM   #28
steve-s

My LFS is kinda unique. It's both online and local. All my dry goods are delivered ( free shipping) and anything live I go in person. Being from Canada, I doubt it would be of any benefit though.

If your looking for good "on line" e-tailers, start a new thread asking others for their recommendations. I am also sure if you PM the same question to our sponsors you should get some decent responses as well.

Cheers
Steve
Old 07-30-2004, 03:46 PM   #29
Aquarium Advice Addict

Good idea on sending PM and asking for reccomendations.....and nice setup for you with regards to the LFS!!! Wish I had the same here. You would think in the Dallas TX area there would be a lot to choose from, but theres not.
Thanks for the help.
Old 08-06-2004, 12:05 AM   #30
Aquarium Advice Addict

Steve/Someone
I still am having issues with the tang. I have been feeding hims LOTS of the algea on a clip, enhanced brine, garlic extrac, Selcon, Zoe, vitamin C to the water each day, ect. Also I have done 2 water changes this week as well. He is eating like a pig and swimming around like nothing is wrong. Also I am pretty sure all of the copper is gone now as I have run carbon for 2-3 nights.
Heres the deal. Its in a 20 gallon tank. When I look at the tang under the light, his whole body looks fine. Even his face isnt as pitted as it was BUT the face portion under the light looks like its white. Its not I know, but where it should be black, its faded bad and also under the eye and down along the line of the gill (guess this is the lateral line) its turning red now. What in the heck am I doing wrong?? Without looking close at him, you would think everything is ok. Ive seen his scrap against the PVC from time to time but not often. Also from time to time he seems to "shake a little". All I have is a heater that isnt submersed, an airstone, and a HOB biowheel. I dont know that stray current is a factor. The PH last time I checked was 8.3. Temp about 82. Would doing a water change effect him this way? I matched the temp and SG.
Im at a loss. I really want to put him in the main tank but dont want to if he has something. Hope I covered everything....sorry for so many questions.

Tags
tan, tang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com