Reoccurring Ich

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

deadbolt

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi, I have a question for you guys. I am getting super frustrated with my tank. I had ich, got rid of it. Waited three weeks until I added another fish and he got ich instantly. Is the ich living in my sand? What should I do?

If you never did anything to rid the tank of ich then it is still living in there.

It will live in the sand/rock, find a host (fish) and continue on. The only two proven cures are Hyposalinity or copper treatments. Those are done in a QT. You leave your DT fallow for 6-8 weeks to let the Ich in there die off due to not having a host. By then, your QT fish should be cured and will go back into an Ich-free tank. QT your new fish moving forward and you should never have Ich in your DT again.

It really stinks when you almost have your tank stocked and then a new fish is introduced with Ich because you were not QTing. You could lose a lot of fish, or you end up pulling them all out into QT. Doing it right from the start usually saves lots of heart/headaches down the road.

Back
Top Bottom