Ricordea Problems

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nicole345

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi, My name is Nicole and I purchased my first Tank on 1/29/2010.

Some History:
I change the water every two weeks, about 5 gallons every time, due to no protein skimmer.
Everything in the tank seems to be thriving I have even has some of the mushrooms spawn, however when my anemone died I was out of town and it killed most of the tank this was about 2 months ago, My Daisy Flowerpot has never been the same after that.
Any Advice is welcome.

Sorry to hear of your loss. Anemones need lots of light which most new comers don't have. My suggestion is to research the animals you want to keep and provide the requirements that they need. Anemonies need lots of lights and are hard to maintain in a home AQ.

Last edited:
Welcome to AA Nicole! :)

I'm going to assume that your tank was cycled before the nem passed (Sorry for your loss, but please remember this when considering a new one. They really never survive long in aquaria as compared to the ocean).

Test results would be good, it's possible that the nem caused a spike. What type of light do you have? How old are the bulbs? What exactly isn't right about it? Closed up?

Test results and pictures would really help us out. Do a full work up of all the tests you have.

I have curly q anemones and they have done fine. One of them
hides for some reason so they must not need light. I have had
them for months with no problem. They are the only Nems I can
keep alive. Have tried several. My tank is only one year old though.
I may try later. My Clowns need a friend. Curlys don't work for
my clowns. I changed to SW after 25 years fresh and it is much
more of a challenge! I'm no quitter though. I love it!

curlyque anmeones are from the aiptasia family and as they get bigger can be a threat to your smaller fish.

What most likely happened was when your anemone died it nuked your tank. When nems die, they can release a TON of toxins into your tank. If they are not removed they can continue to cause issues well into the future. I would run some carbon to help get it out along with doing a couple 50% pwc to really clean it out well.

Also, what type of lighting are you using? Nem's need some great lighting to survive.

curlyque anmeones are from the aiptasia family and as they get bigger can be a threat to your smaller fish.

I KNEW ITTTT, i saw them at my LFS and thought, "what an ugly nem, looks like aiptasia, probably isnt much better for the tank either" i knew itttttttt =]

but yeah the nem certainly sounds like it nuked your tank pretty good and im sure the coral arent too happy

Everybody is ok right now, Toadstool is shedding profusely.
I still haven't seen his polyps in three weeks. The Chili coral grows
at night and opens, the colt coral is ok as is the ricordea. I am
running carbon, always do. I do 10% water changes once a week,
or more so. I plan to do a big change this weekend of the water and
filter and all and head out for vacation and leave mom to them.
I got the nem out probably before he died (pink haitian) The curly
Qs are doing fine, should I not have them? I sure haven't killed them
yet. But let me buy an expensive one.....

Back
Top Bottom