Ricordia too Much or Little Lighting?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nanofowlrboy

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So my Ricordia Florida is the only coral in my tank that is acting strange. Everything else is growing like a weed. It did lose color over the past month since I got it. Its polyps have shrunken up. I had it under a cheap led of amazon for a while then over that under the same light, it got smaller and less vibrant. I put on the Coralife 50/50, 15 WATT, T8, 18” light on it this morning. With the Coralife be good for it? My question is, too much or too little light. IMG_2050.jpgIMG_1899.jpg

The Ricordia still has a lot of coral when the lights are off or under actinics. What I think happened is he didn’t get enough light/food so over time he started lose color/bleaching, so I upgraded the light. Does this sound like what would have happened. i have him at about 9-10” deep in my tank. He is on the sand bed.IMG_2063.jpgIMG_2062.jpg

Any type of mushroom has the ability to tell you of it isn’t happy. They are closely related to anemone, so they can simply let go and let the current take them somewhere new.
It’s new to the system. Give it time to adjust.

Thanks I put the LED and the T8 lights on for the past two days, his base colored back up, and the polyps are getting a bit bigger, and he also lays flat now, but its only been two days so its too early to tell. Tomorrow I will start to feed it because I read that feeding it helps the coral revive.

There is no reason to ever feed photosynthetic corals. They get everything they need from proper lighting. They are meant to eat if they get lucky enough to. Usually people just end up nuking their systems with the high phosphate foods.

Back
Top Bottom