Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-16-2004, 06:40 PM   #11

Dont use any shower but my own ,don't really go out side and do any lbr dirty kind of work as I am lazy, can't be that
Old 08-16-2004, 07:43 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
To tell you the truth I didn't belive it either until I started searching the web and I found all sorts of infections related to not washing up after putting your hands in the fish tank, in fact there was one case were a person ahd an open cut, nothing terrible but from putting his hands in the tank and not washing up go some kind of infection where this guys finger was like tripple the size,
You are referring to Mycobacterium marinum, which is a known bacteria that inhabits freshwater, brackish, and saltwater habitats...this is indeed a danger while working in fish tanks. As stated several times now though, the dermatophytes that cuase ringworm could not be found in an aquarium, and being a fungus...have nothing to do with the bacteria in a cycling product and would not be there (no available host).

Even though you describe yourself as a clean, lazy hermit....I would still imagine you, in your daily life, have come across something that has been touched by another human being considering you went outside to purchase the product from a public pet store. It was most likely something like this, that you did not pay much attention to, that was the beginning of you getting infected.

Old 08-16-2004, 07:55 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to nodoubt471
my uncle is a pediatric dermatologist and he happened to be here for a family reunion as i was reading this post. he has had tons of cases of ringworm (its really common in kids) and all the information he gave me agreed with hoopsguru's info. there is no need to get hysterical about putting your hands in your fishtank. as with anything, just be careful!
Old 08-17-2004, 10:11 AM   #14

I will be careful for now on, did he by chance mention how to get rid of, im using mdication but seems to work slow
Old 08-17-2004, 12:45 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to nodoubt471
sorry no he didnt i do konw it takes quite a while to go away though. good luck! hey look on the bright side at least its not spreading
Old 08-17-2004, 10:42 PM   #16
JG
Aquarium Advice FINatic

"m using mdication but seems to work slow "

I used to get it all of the time as a kid ( I grew up on a working ranch in Texas - got it from the animals, esp. Grandpa's cats - they always had it). I used Tinactin cream - cleared it up.

Food for thought - a change in body chemistry ( skin acidity) and increased your risk of certain fungal infections. I believe this is why shampoos are specifically balanced to the acidity if skin - fungal infections on the scalp are difficult to deal with. Consider whether you have changed soaps, laundry detergents, taking meds. Borrowed anyones clothes? Pet any animals ?

Be careful - wash your hands often - you can spread it to other body parts as well as other people
Old 08-18-2004, 11:46 AM   #17

Does tha stuff cure it quick? ,I'm using clear nail polish of all things as that's what a friends mother told me to use, swaid it smuthers it, I've had it for about a week now, its no loger raised up, its flat and looks like its going away but still there
Old 08-18-2004, 11:53 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Geez, why didn't the doctor give you a cream for it? They usually have meds available with a little bigger kick than over the counter varieties. The Tinactin should do the job very well though, and their website recommends the Liquid Spray for ringworm.
HoopsGuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2004, 11:55 AM   #19

I didn't go to the doctor ,my father and mother laughed when I mentioned doctor ,they were like we use to get this all the time as kids don't need no doctor just put some clear polish on it and it will dye
Old 08-18-2004, 12:23 PM   #20
JG
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Tinactin will clear it up - any remedy for this takes a couple of weeks I believe.

I would hesitate using nail polish as this can alter the skin chemistry , dry out the skin, cause cracking in skin , and creat other potential pathways for the fungal infection to spread.

A doctor would have a stronger antifungal than Tinactin if it looks like it's not clearing up.

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com