Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-13-2004, 06:21 PM   #1

RINGWORM

Yes ringworm, I got it from the cycling chemical that I bought to help cycle my tank faster, I recently upgraded my 55 g to a 125g and my tank went into a mini cycle ,I have always had good luck with the cycle chemical so I've been adding in ,I have a bad habbit of whiping my hands on my pant legs and I guess that's ok when your wearing full pants but I was wearing shorts and I got some on my leg
Didn't really think anything about it until I started itching a few days later, went to my doctor and found out I got ringworm and boy does it look like a ring, the name fits
Told her how can that be, I don't go in dirty water ao anything like that, as we were talking and I mentioned my tank and cycling problem we figured it out, cycle chemical is bio and live bacteria in it well now it makes sence how I got this
Old 08-13-2004, 07:35 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to jamal-188
That's strange, I've never heard of that happening? Not to disagree but ring worm is super contagious, I got it a few times from unknown sources. High school wrestlers get it all the time due to the fact is spreads on the floor mats.

Old 08-13-2004, 07:40 PM   #3
God of primitive fishes

Send a message via MSN to Toirtis Send a message via Yahoo to Toirtis
Ringworm is a fungal infection, and I have never heard of it being possible to contract it from an aquarium or aquarium chems in any way whatsoever....I suspect that the link between the two is entirely coincidental, and you picked it up somewhere else. What specific product were you using?
www.calgaryaquariumsociety.com
Toirtis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2004, 03:35 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to WarOrks15 Send a message via MSN to WarOrks15
is it flat worm or tape worms are the only worms that i know that can be bad to humans and you can some times find on rock. a tape worm is really really bad.
Old 08-16-2004, 10:21 AM   #5

Stability by seachem but hey i'm not complaining as weird as it sounds I love this stuff ,first time I used it and it worked
The reason I used it was I just upgraded to bigger tank ,my tank went into a cycle again, my ammonia was off the scale ,could not get it down after three weeks and I didnt want to loose any fish, my pet store recently moved to another plaza and when I told them what was going on he sugested this to me as in the move for them there tanks all spiked
He told me he was amazed how well this worked for them, I used it as directed and bam everything back to normal
So im not downingthis product in any way, it saved my fish ,great stuff, just suggesting people wash them self real good after working on your tank, there web sites on the net that show all the different infections people can get from a fish tank, I read one where a person almost had to have a figure removed so do the research, I was one who never realy washed up or worried about it until now
Old 08-16-2004, 03:21 PM   #6
God of primitive fishes

Sorry, but just no way the Stability caused the ringworm...you were exposed somewhere else....you may wish to consult with a dermatologist.
Old 08-16-2004, 03:27 PM   #7

already did that, trust me thers no other way, i'm a clean person ,I shower every morning before work and every nigh before bed ,I work in an office taking auto claims at an insurance company no one here has it except me and thers four of us ,I don't play in dirty water other then when I paly with my fish tank adjusting or cleaning something, if fact the only water I come in contact with is my shower and my fish tank ,went to a doctor we could not figure out were I could of gotten this from, we started talking fish, told him about myy tank and the bacteria I was added to get it thre the cycle ,have gottten it on my but never thought of washing it off, in fact when ever I mess with my tank I just dry off never wash, he stated that's where I might of gotten from ever the fish tank or the chemical, who knows but it makes sence
Old 08-16-2004, 06:22 PM   #8
God of primitive fishes

I don't buy it...it is fungal infection, and has to come via contact with a mammalian host or some very recently shed spores...its not something hat exists within aquatic environments or bottles of cycling bacteria....touch any animals or sit on the ground recently?
Old 08-16-2004, 06:28 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

You are isolating the existence of ringworm to water, and this is incorrect. The actual host is humans, animals, and soil. You can be exposed from any kind of direct or indirect contact, water has really nothing to do with it other than community showers have high rates of exposure (as do gyms, etc.). It does not matter how "clean" you are, nor your house, car, office, etc. This is the same kind of misconception that lice only occurs in dirty people.

As mentioned, ringworm is caused by fungus NOT a bacteria.....Dermatophytes to be exact. The Seachem product itself has nothing to do with it, unless someone with ringworm touched the bottle before you did. Not a single one of the 3 dermatophytes responsible for ringworm are found in water nor aquatic life.
HoopsGuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2004, 06:38 PM   #10

To tell you the truth I didn't belive it either until I started searching the web and I found all sorts of infections related to not washing up after putting your hands in the fish tank, in fact there was one case were a person ahd an open cut, nothing terrible but from putting his hands in the tank and not washing up go some kind of infection where this guys finger was like tripple the size, was pretty nasty looking ,from the article a read they were going to remove the finger because they had no idea what it was but before they removed his finger they were able to figure out it was something that was caused by the fish tank, some kind of bacteria that got in his system ,do some web searching, it will amaze you, I never really thought about it my self and Ive been doing this for 7 years

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com