Rinsing Live Brine Shrimp ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BrendanH

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi All,
I picked up some live brine shrimp at my LFS yesterday, hoping to entice my Kole Tang in the QT to eat. Turns out he's a bit os a wuss :) He would approach the shrimp and once he noticed they were alive he got freaked out and backed away ! Anyway, once they calmed down a bit he ate so that's a good thing. Now to get him eating something nutritious !! Now for the question - my LFS suggested I should rinse the shrimp in freshwater before feeding with them. Is that as simple as rinsing under a running tap ?

thanks,
Brendan.

p.s. I presume the goal is to reduce the risk of introducing parasites along with the shrimp ?

I would put them in a shrimp net and use tank water. The idea is to keep the foul water from the shrimp out of your tank.

AH - Thanks !

Now for some good news on the Kole - I just fed him some Formula 2 flakes and for the first time he ate like a pig !!!! :) All was demolished in under a couple of minutes. Methinks ich go bye-bye :D

You can take the brine shrimp and put them in fresh water with vitachem and they will absorb the vitamine through osmosis. I read this in a book on medicating sick fish and they suggest to use this method with medication so I don't see why it wouldn't work with vitamines.

Back
Top Bottom