Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-15-2012, 10:51 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Freak

RIP Cleaner Shrimp

Well, found Jacque dead in the tank this morning. Great.

1. How long have you had the fish? Do you know if it was wild caught, or tank raised?
One week - don't know if it was tank raised or wild caught.

2. How long has the fish been in the tank? What are the tank mates? Any aggression?
One week (don't have a QT tank). Mates are a lil' nemo, dottyback, green chromie, emerald crab and arrow crab (just added), and various snails.

3. Is the fish eating? If so what does it eat?
Was eating some of the flake food.

4. What are the water parameters? pH, ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, SPG? (actual numbers please: posting high, average or normal is not helpful) What saltwater test kit are you using?
pH: 8.2; ammonia, nitrite and nitrate are all 0. Phosphate is at 0.25. Temp is 76.

5. Is the fish showing any physical signs of disease, grain of salt size spots, discoloration, ragged fins, misting or spots on the fins, cuts, cloudy eyes, etc?
He looked fine, just molded on Friday.

6. Is the fish "flashing" (scratching or rubbing on rocks, decorations or substrate)?
No. Though I did see that he was sitting on the substrate last night instead of sitting on the rocks.

7. How is the fish acting? Is it swimming around, or just hovering in one spot or corner of the tank?
I did notice that he wasn't as busy cleaning himself and the tank yesterday afternoon, but figured it was normal behavior after they molt.

8. Did you use quarantine? If so for how long and did you have a need to treat for any ailments? Is it in qt now? Are you currently treating with any medication(s)?
Nope.

9. Describe in detail how the fish was acclimated.
Drip acclimation over 1.5 hour.

10. What size system? What type of filtration do you use? Do you have any live rock or sand?
28 gallon w/LR and LS. Cascade 500 canister filtration.

11. Do you use any additives? Have you used any sort of meds in the main tank?
Just added weekly dose of Marine Stabilizer and Reef Accelerator yesterday.

None of the fish or crabs were harassing it and it was unblemished (nobody bit it).

Old 01-15-2012, 10:56 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to Alyxx Send a message via Skype™ to Alyxx
Maybe a bad moult?

Old 01-15-2012, 11:05 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Maybe, though it looks like he molted from the tip of his antennas to the end of his tail. I'm wondering if he didn't get enough to eat...
Old 01-15-2012, 11:23 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

I'm always thinking mine are dead because it looks like their whole body, feet, whiskers, and all, but then later there they are walking around like no big deal.
Old 01-15-2012, 11:34 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlopNewsom View Post
I'm always thinking mine are dead because it looks like their whole body, feet, whiskers, and all, but then later there they are walking around like no big deal.
Oh, I wish that was the case. Unfortunately, I saw my dottyback worrying at the dead shrimp like a dog with a bone. I already removed the molt from the tank. It just makes me so sad - especially if there was something I did/didn't do that caused Jacque's too early demise
Old 01-15-2012, 12:38 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

Dottybacks kill shrimp !!!! Look it up online
Old 01-15-2012, 01:12 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
I would say the marine stabilizer and/or the reef accelerator had something to do with it. I suggest you not add anything you haven't tested for and know for a fact that you lack, and exactly how much to put in to correct the level.
those things are completely unnecessary.
Old 01-15-2012, 01:23 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

Well, dotty stayed away from him the whole week. Besides, he did not look well yesterday an hour or two after I added the supplements. It is quite possible that is what did him in

My question now is, am I not supposed to add iodine to help with molting? One of the supplements had iodine in it, so what now?
Old 01-15-2012, 01:25 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

It was probably te dottyback or the arrow crab, if the crab is big enough.
Old 01-15-2012, 01:26 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
No way. There is plenty of iodine in the salt mix you use. Do some water changes to remove that stuff and enjoy your tank.
I highly doubt it was a the dottyback if it didn't kill it in a week. A cleaner shrimp is way too fast for an arrow crab.

Tags
clean, cleaner, cleaner shrimp, rim, shrimp

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com