RIP Cleaner Shrimp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TeamTrash

Aquarium Advice Freak
Well, found Jacque dead in the tank this morning. Great.

1. How long have you had the fish? Do you know if it was wild caught, or tank raised?
One week - don't know if it was tank raised or wild caught.

2. How long has the fish been in the tank? What are the tank mates? Any aggression?
One week (don't have a QT tank). Mates are a lil' nemo, dottyback, green chromie, emerald crab and arrow crab (just added), and various snails.

3. Is the fish eating? If so what does it eat?
Was eating some of the flake food.

4. What are the water parameters? pH, ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, SPG? (actual numbers please: posting high, average or normal is not helpful) What saltwater test kit are you using?
pH: 8.2; ammonia, nitrite and nitrate are all 0. Phosphate is at 0.25. Temp is 76.

5. Is the fish showing any physical signs of disease, grain of salt size spots, discoloration, ragged fins, misting or spots on the fins, cuts, cloudy eyes, etc?
He looked fine, just molded on Friday.

6. Is the fish "flashing" (scratching or rubbing on rocks, decorations or substrate)?
No. Though I did see that he was sitting on the substrate last night instead of sitting on the rocks.

7. How is the fish acting? Is it swimming around, or just hovering in one spot or corner of the tank?
I did notice that he wasn't as busy cleaning himself and the tank yesterday afternoon, but figured it was normal behavior after they molt.

8. Did you use quarantine? If so for how long and did you have a need to treat for any ailments? Is it in qt now? Are you currently treating with any medication(s)?
Nope.

9. Describe in detail how the fish was acclimated.
Drip acclimation over 1.5 hour.

10. What size system? What type of filtration do you use? Do you have any live rock or sand?
28 gallon w/LR and LS. Cascade 500 canister filtration.

11. Do you use any additives? Have you used any sort of meds in the main tank?
Just added weekly dose of Marine Stabilizer and Reef Accelerator yesterday.

None of the fish or crabs were harassing it and it was unblemished (nobody bit it).

Maybe, though it looks like he molted from the tip of his antennas to the end of his tail. I'm wondering if he didn't get enough to eat...

I'm always thinking mine are dead because it looks like their whole body, feet, whiskers, and all, but then later there they are walking around like no big deal.

I'm always thinking mine are dead because it looks like their whole body, feet, whiskers, and all, but then later there they are walking around like no big deal.

Oh, I wish that was the case. Unfortunately, I saw my dottyback worrying at the dead shrimp like a dog with a bone. I already removed the molt from the tank. It just makes me so sad - especially if there was something I did/didn't do that caused Jacque's too early demise :(

I would say the marine stabilizer and/or the reef accelerator had something to do with it. I suggest you not add anything you haven't tested for and know for a fact that you lack, and exactly how much to put in to correct the level.
those things are completely unnecessary.

Well, dotty stayed away from him the whole week. Besides, he did not look well yesterday an hour or two after I added the supplements. It is quite possible that is what did him in :(

My question now is, am I not supposed to add iodine to help with molting? One of the supplements had iodine in it, so what now?

No way. There is plenty of iodine in the salt mix you use. Do some water changes to remove that stuff and enjoy your tank.
I highly doubt it was a the dottyback if it didn't kill it in a week. A cleaner shrimp is way too fast for an arrow crab.

I don't think it is dotty. I've added several other things and she has tolerated them quite well. I've also kept the arrow crab under strict monitoring. All he has done is picking stuff of the rocks and eating it. I'll do some water changes and keep my fingers crossed.

Okay, water is changed. While I was at the lfs I accidentally got a fire shrimp. I think they felt bad as I got a good discount :)

Sorry to hear about your shrimp. I love mine as it has so much personality. Like yours we went with a French name, Pierre. Honestly, how to you not name a shrimp something French? Best of luck with your Fire Shrimp.

I agree with Mr_x theory that the additives are likely the cause of the problem in this case, however I would also be curious to find out how you test your salt levels - shrimps are particularly sensitive to this even though it sounds like you acclimatised him carefully. A refractometer is always the best in my opinion, a floating arm hydrometer quickly gets furred with salty deposits which effect its accuracy.

I use the floating arm hydrometer, but I do rinse it out quickly and about every third week I'll let it sit with a water/vinegar solution to remove any salt buildup. I also take my water to my lfs where they have a refractometer. Salinity is at 1.024 and has stayed there forever.

Anyhow, I didn't have a protein skimmer, and I don't know if that has had anything to do with what's been going on but now I've bought one. It'll be here tomorrow... at least it can't hurt to have one, right?! :confused: I've also ordered iodine, magnesium, calcium and alkalinity test kits. That way I can add what I need when I need and (hopefully) not kill anybody or anything else. :oops:

On the bright side, everybody seems to be doing great. My decorator arrow crab ate a couple big chunks of raw shrimp yesterday, my yellow watchman goby has finally moved to the front of the tank, and my fire shrimp seems to be doing great while hiding under a rock. (y)

Yeah, except now my tank looks like a snow globe... Or bubble globe ;) I guess it will take a few days to break in the skimmer.

Back
Top Bottom