Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Sick Fish or Coral

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 02-13-2011, 12:52 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist
Rip on a Mushroom Coral

I have slowly begun to stock my tank. Last week I picked up a really nice piece of rock with a mushroom coral on it and a few other things like feather dusters. The coral adjusted quickly and it looks nice and healthy but this morning I noticed a tear on the mushroom. Despite the tear, the coral doesn't appear unhappy.

I don't have much in my tank at the moment. I have an emerald crab, a tuxedo urchin and a peppermint shrimp. I also have some snails and a few blue legged hermit crabs. None of these animals seem interested in the mushroom and I don't know how it got injured. I did notice 2 clear/white tentacles coming out of a crevice in an adjacent rock. These tentacles could reach the area where the rip was - I think. I don't have a picture. I didn't see it today and lights are off now. If these tentacles sting, what would the injury look like? Or, does the damage depend on what it is? When I was looking at the tentacles, it seemed like they were trying to zap the mysis shrimp that swam by. There are only 2 tentacles and they are about an inch long. How do you extract something from a crevice, anyway? This particular rock is holding up other rocks and is a key piece in the stability of the aquascape. It might be simpler to move my new rock with the mushroom coral...

Or, could the hermits/emerald crab have injured the coral by walking on it? They seem to ignore it but I don't know what happens in the dark

Sadial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 12:55 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
leave the tentacle thing alone. it's either a tiny brittle starfish or a spionid worm, and neither of them hurt the mushroom.
i don't know what did it, but i wouldn't worry too much about it. it will heal up or split into 2 mushrooms. they are amazingly resilient.
i heard of a guy who put mushrooms in a blender then poured the slurry back in his tank. he had mushrooms all over the place a month later.

mr_X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 01:15 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist
I know it's not a brittle starfish - I have a few hitchikers and know what they look like. I googled spionid worms and yep, that looks like it could be it! I was not looking forward to tearing apart my rockwork, btw. Thanks for saving me that pain.

I'm in a boggle over your story with the mushrooms. I'm fretting over a rip and people chuck them in blenders.
Sadial is offline   Reply With Quote

coral, mushroom

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com