RO filter advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

uk.kat.uk

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I want to change my my filters in my RO unit. I bought the pack for 4 stage unit which is what I have. It came and one filter is not the same and although It would fit I am not sure if it does the same thing.

Old filter is a resin filter
New filter is post carbon filter

If I put on the new filter and remove the old how will this affect my water quality?

I use the water in my 3 salt water tanks once mixed with salt and also use the fresh in my two tropical tanks.

Picture is of the unit before filter change.

Thans in advance fot the advice.

Attachments

• 20180427_091617.jpg
    20180427_091617.jpg
    252.2 KB · Views: 118
If the resin is DI media then the carbon will not be a suitable replacement.
Carbon is usually used before the TFC and DI is always after it...
Where is the resin in the filter order ?

If the resin is DI media then the carbon will not be a suitable replacement.
Carbon is usually used before the TFC and DI is always after it...
Where is the resin in the filter order ?
There was no resin filter in the order. Maybe they sent the wrong filter. I will have to ring them.

The resin in your pic on top of the TFC is a DI filter I think .
Possibly even a color changing resin. I have DI media that goes from 'blue' to 'yellow ' when exhausted.
Do you have a TDS meter ?
Without DI media minerals will pass through and you will not get 0 TDS water IMO.

The resin in your pic on top of the TFC is a DI filter I think .
Possibly even a color changing resin. I have DI media that goes from 'blue' to 'yellow ' when exhausted.
Do you have a TDS meter ?
Without DI media minerals will pass through and you will not get 0 TDS water IMO.
I have a TDS meter. Water has been 0 ut measured at 0.06 last 2eek which is why I ordered the new filters. The one in the top which is the problem is the Resin filter. Its exactly the same size as the new filter but dint dare replace ti.

If the TDS only started to raise then likely you only need to replace the resin.
I replace the sediment filters regularly ,they are cheap and the resin when color changes or TDS rise over 0. The TFC could last as long as 3 years.
The top filter in your pic is DI resin as it says it removes calcium and magnesium and other ions ...
https://www.amazon.co.uk/3000ml-Mix...=UTF8&qid=1524824310&sr=8-6&keywords=di+resin
You can just by the resin and install it in the canister..
I believe the link is your brand filters resin ?..

If the TDS only started to raise then likely you only need to replace the resin.
I replace the sediment filters regularly ,they are cheap and the resin when color changes or TDS rise over 0. The TFC could last as long as 3 years.
The top filter in your pic is DI resin as it says it removes calcium and magnesium and other ions ...
What is TFC? Sorry new to this. So you think I only have to swap the resin filter? I am going to order one. The kit I bought was delivered correctly and at some point I need to swap everything so I will keep it.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/3000ml-Mix...=UTF8&qid=1524824310&sr=8-6&keywords=di+resin
You can just by the resin and install it in the canister..
I believe the link is your brand filters resin ?..

TFC is 'Thin Film Composite' filter that sits under the resin .
DI resin is commonly the fastest 'consumed' media in a ro filter.
The first [sediment filter] should be replaced regulary.It is more economical to replace the cheaper filters and prevent more 'wear' on the next filters..
It looks like you might even have a flush valve which can be used to rinse filters every so often?
I would replace the carbon ,sediment and DI..
The horizontal [TFC] should last a couple years if other filters are kept in force .

TFC is 'Thin Film Composite' filter that sits under the resin .
DI resin is commonly the fastest 'consumed' media in a ro filter.
The first [sediment filter] should be replaced regulary.It is more economical to replace the cheaper filters and prevent more 'wear' on the next filters..
It looks like you might even have a flush valve which can be used to rinse filters every so often?
I would replace the carbon ,sediment and DI..
The horizontal [TFC] should last a couple years if other filters are kept in force .
Wow that is amazing. Did not knowbyoubcould just buy the resin and put in the canister. Thought I would have to buy it as a pre filled unit.

Thank you so much for your help. I really appriciate it. [emoji226][emoji225] my fish will be happy now. Well most of them but that will be an issue I have to post with a new subject.

Back
Top Bottom