RO Unit... why to buy?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RLG2182

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Just getting ready to set up my reef tank here (could be fowlr, but not 100% sure yet)... just curious to see why I would need an RO/DI (?) unit? Is it unsafe to use tap water that's treated with the LFS chemical to take out Chlorine? I've done saltwater before, and have never heard of RO units in LFS lingo till I came on this site. :wink:

I was spending $70 a month on sw and ro water. An ro unit will pay for itself quickly and if you ever run into a problem and need water on a sunday or at night due to a crissis in the tank you have the tools to repair the situation on the spot.
Using tap water from everything I have read is asking for algae problems along with poor water conditions overall. This is an expensive hobbie and water conditions are what makes or brakes you in the long run. imo
If you could afford a rodi unit now I would certainly buy one or use ro water from your lfs.

I just set one up this weekend...

I too am just starting in SW...but after the many algae problems I have had with my well water in my 90 gallon FW...I knew I was going to be in trouble with the SW if I did not have the RO/DI system. I will also be using mine for 50:50 changes in my FW....but 100% in the salt water tank!

I got one from Ebay, Filter Direct Brand, for $89! I was a little leary...so I spent extra and got a TDS meter....It took my well water from 150ppm to 0 ppm (yes...zero....when I checked the first batch...it was down to 4ppm..and I was happy...after the second batch....ZERO ppm!)

I set it up in the corner of the basement...takes up no space...it is out of sight...and I have $89 peice of mind that any algae problems are not from the water! I also can suppy a friend with some (who has been having algae and Cyanobacteria problem) who has been using tap water.

WC

WC

What exactly do they do though? :? Clear up water from all chemicals?

I would still have to put the salt mixture and everything else in the water, right? Just purifies the water like a filter for your faucet would?

Need to check up on those... for some reason I thought they were more expensive than $89 on ebay

They do more than the faucet filters. They remove 99.9 % off all impurities. Those include nitrate, phosphat and heavy metals. All toxic to corals and loved by algae. All the faucet filters do is remove sediment and oder which the ro unit does as well.

Just test your faucet water..If it tests fine don't waste your money on RO.. Everyone and their Grannys push them when in most cases they aren't even needed..Been doing Reef for years and I have well water.. never a problem..My mains water tests fine... Test your home water first..if it test bad then consider buying an RO..If it tests fine, then save your money... Oh and if you get the speil about algae.. I don't have any..So RO isn't the cure all... HTH

Wow... many different opinions ;)

Just went through ebay, nothing exciting. Bunch of home made ones that for some reason are 1/3 the price of other "name brands"on www.captivereefs.com & www.marinedepot.com (Captive Reefs all the way for my future 4X65 CF!!)

What do I use to test my water? Some kind of testing kit similar to ammonia/nitrate/nitrite kit?

Thanks for all the wonderful advice!

~~Rob

I have heard that you shouldint use RO/DI water for fresh, and just use RO for FW tanks. Is this true or just BS?

I was considering buying a system but i heard from a friend in the clean water trade that comercialy used systems are designet to run around 11 houres a day and if you don't use it a lot the ro membrane might start to sick.
Is that right?

was goin to post a new one but ill add to this one
is there a difference with the RO/DI units in HD or Lowes (i know they sell RO but need to check on the RO/DI part...but I think thats just an extra canister)

Back
Top Bottom