rose bulb was killing my tank!! question also

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kidkameleon3

Aquarium Advice Freak
Well you read it right over the last 4 weeks or just shy I have seen a decrease in the over all health of the tank.Corals started shutting ,dying,etc... So I jumped on the flat worm wagon and got rid of them ,but that didn;t solve it

Then yesterday morning I come to see the rosebulb dead in a power head I jsut moved. I was pissed then I looked teh tank went from like 2 (on a 1-10 scale) to a 4. Zoo's where open again, finger was out just looked alot better in there. So I wait a day everyhting is open again and starting to regain some health they where all getting ready to die completely so I am happy to lose a $50 rose bulb.

Question is what the hell was it doing and why me? Tons of people keep them right?

Sounds like it was unhappy. When there happy they stay put, either you didn't have enough light and flow, or you had to much light and flow. Even if the water is bad it may wander. I know some will wander or hide when under MH.

na he was happy, he liked to move tehn stay for a day or so then move agian,In and out of the light. My qeustion is what it did to almost destroy the rest of the tank when it was alive?

No he wasn't happy. A happy anemone dosen't move at all. They sting corals and irritate, if not kill them. They can also release chemicals into the water.

Rose anemone usually are fairly predatory against corals as well....from what I have been told.

Six line, he was happy nad healthy. I watch my tank non stop I can tell when it is ok and when it is a miss.The rose would sit and pirch for days then move.

Im not trying to argue with you, but when a rose feels comftable and has everything it needs they stay put. If it moves at all that is a sign that it is not happy with its location. Even if he nice and wide open, they shouldn't move once settled. This is exactly why he went into the PH cause he was wandering.

kidkameleon, six-line doesn't mean anything against you so don't take it personally.. but he's right that the reason it kept moving around was that it wasn't happy with something, and it was probably stinging everything while it moved.

If you ever decide to get another I would definitely get some sponges to put around the inlets of anything it might get sucked into.

ya no hard feeligns, just MO.I watched the tank a few hours aday it is in my home office room. Ya I needed to have them sponged anyway.I geuss it is good I didnlt casue I would have never geussed it.

If you put sponges on the PHs make sure you clean them regularly. Otherwise it will cause nitrates, when the wastes build up.

I got a torch coral back a few months ago, it only survived about three days, but in that time my GSPs would not come out and they were about four feet apart.

If you have corals or anemones in the tank there is bound to be some sort of chemical warfare. Anemones are notorious for releasing nematocysts in the water, especially one that is always on the move. Running carbon and aggressive skimming will usually tank care of that.

FWIW, the anemone should not wander. The tank conditions may be excellent based on test results but that is not the only thing to look at when dealing with anemones. As Sixline mentioned, water flow and light are paramount. If chemical warfare was the issue, it's fixed easily enough.

Cheers
Steve

ya my thing about saying it was happy was the way it acted you could tell when it was not happy.I saw that a few times ,but it moved around always bulbed up.I did feed him by hand good size portions of frozen brine though to so.Just sharing incase anyone else has this issue

Back
Top Bottom