Roughed up Open Brain Mushroom

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Leahdanilalton

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello, i have an unfortunate question. We bought and Open Brain Mushroom and it was doing well for a few days.

We woke up this morning and noticed the chocolate chip starfish was lying on top of it. It turns out it was eating it. The open brain has quite a few loose parts too it and has been roughed up a bit.

We have since moved the Chocolate Chip to another tank.

Our question is, will the mushroom recover? :( thanks,

Leah

I've never heard of an open brain mushroom. Is it an open brain coral or some kind of mushroom?

Here is a picture of an open brain....not my open brain but the same thing...I'll post a pic of mine if I can get one.

Attachments

• cwarnerbrain_400.jpg
    cwarnerbrain_400.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 94
  • cwarnerbrain_400.jpg
    cwarnerbrain_400.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 92
Here is a picture of my open brain...he's pretty tore up...any help I can get is appreciated

Thanks

Attachments

• 000_0010_0001.jpg
    000_0010_0001.jpg
    17.7 KB · Views: 111
  • 000_0011_0001.jpg
    000_0011_0001.jpg
    17.5 KB · Views: 122
I would think it would recover but that looks like a brain coral not a mushroom.

If I had a Chocolate Chip SF do that to my prized open brain, I would stuff him in the blender and set it on Frape'.

Gosh he sure looks bad, kinda makes ME feel bad too. My open brain is the best part of the reef.
IMHO he should recover. Leave him be for a few days and make sure you don't have any shrimp or predators in there. They may finish him off. After 2-3 days I would feed him to help him heal faster. But for now, just pray!

Back
Top Bottom