Round-looking brownish growth in mouth of Trigger

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AMANIQU77

Aquarium Advice Freak
My trigger has this brownish round something in the mouth by the lower lip. I thought it was teeth but it isn't. I also notice some hint of web or slime in the mouth. It eats, swims, and is pretty normal.

But what is that? I dont want to just cut it myself because I am afraid that openings may cause for more parasites and bacterial infection.

Anyone else seen this? I may take a picture, I just don't know where to post the pic. I don't have a pic album account online or something.

You can post pictures directly to this thread. When posting or replying, there is an attachment function near the bottom. Simpley click the browse button, find the pic on your computer, select and press the add attachment button. Pictures must be smaller than 250 k and should be no larger than 640x480 pixels.

As to your malady, sounds like either a bacterial infection or possibley Lymphocystis. Does the trigger forage against hard surfaces frequently or get fed bivavles regularaly? What species of trigger how long have you had it?

Please post the conditions of your water quality with actual numbers please along with what other types of fish kept in this 55 gal.

Cheers
Steve

To be honest I can't tell what that is. Almost looks like something foreign has got itself stuck between the bottom jawline and the mouth opening. Does it have a smooth appearance as it seems in the picture or fleshy? You indicate a "roundness" to it? Has it always been in the same place and size? How long ahs it been there?

Little or no real information to go on here. Need alot more detail and history.

Cheers
Steve

I would say it's been there for at least 3 months now. It is round and brownish. It's semi-shiney but it looks as though it's a wart or something. At the same time the mouth has this very thin webby, kinda skin peel, stuff inside. However, it eats. It swims normally, eats, and seems to live with it.

I can't honestly tell whether or not it is severly bother it though. He folds his lower lip a lot.

Just last night, I gently took it out of the tank, wore disposable latex gloves (rinsed in the outside), and took a scalpal just to see what it felt like. It felt to me as though it's a teeth formation because it's pretty hard and rough (I can hear the scalpal blade scratching the outside of that foreign thing).

At first I said "Well maybe it's teeth". But normally I see triggers in LFS and the teeth look like false teeth and they're pretty whole, you know? Not round and brownish and stuff.

Nothing was happening 3 months ago. I didn't do any specific changes. It's pretty much how it is.

It's the lone specimen in the tank right now. I haven't added any additional live rocks in seven months. I feed it frozen brime, frozen mysis, formula 2, and once I served it live worms that lasted about a week and a half. That was a month ago.

Please help!! I appreciate the input, y'all. Thank you ver much.

He's still doing well now, he's swimming normally, no signs of shock or stress or anything coming back to the display.

I am just concerned, I don't know if anyone else had that experience.

Sorry for the late reply, rather busy lately.

From your description of the "examination", I would most likely suspect the possibility of a foreign body. Not completely uncommon with this type of species. When you scraped the object with the scapel, did it show any sign of movement or was it rigidly in place?

Cheers
Steve

Thanks for the response, the thing was rigid and there aren't any movement. It almost reminded me of a cyst or tumor or something. But it's unlikely because it felt solid like teeth.

I am afraid to just yank it out because there may be vessels there that might bleed like hell. I am just making up stuff from a Discovery Health channel show about tumor removal in humans. I don't really know it there are blood vessels in fish and whether or not I should worry about them whenever I extract a foreign object.

But your inquiry does shed light on the situation. I wonder if that foreign object is bad because the fish swims and eats, doesn't show any sign of stress or irritation. I don't know if it's broke so I can't assume that I should fix it.

Thanks again for your input Steve

AMANIQU77 said:
I don't know if it's broke so I can't assume that I should fix it.
And an excellent way to look at it. If the fish is in otherwise good health and showing no adverse effects, I would wait and see. It may or may not be a foreign object but it does not sound viral or bacterial.

Post back if anything changes!!

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom