Royal gramma

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cjsanders757

Aquarium Advice Freak
My gramma has been hiding since Friday. She hasn't really been eating. :/ could be sick or still acclimating?

erichm20 said:
What are your water parameters and how did you acclimate him? Was he eating good before? Tank mates?

17 hermit crabs. Can't say on water I'm at work and only have test strips. I drip acclimate him. When u left he was swimming around but would still lay on its side gasping it looked like. I have in my hob refugium with an airtime just in case it's lack of oxygen. I also noticed half of its tail fins missing. So maybe stress from that. He has been active since Friday until today.

If half of his tail is missing you either have something picking at him, a water quality issue, or he has some type of disease. Combinedwith the laying on the side and gasping, I'm leaning toward a water quality issue. I advise that you invest in a set of liquid test kits covering ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, and pH. You can find the API Saltwater Master Test Kit online for about $20 or at a LFS for around $32. The test strips while appearing convenient are often grossly inaccurate.

Royal grammas are normally pretty hardy fish. They don't stray very far from their homes, but not responding to food for 4 days is out of character for them. I'd do a water change in any case.

Any salt-like spots on the fin or body?

Besides the tail it looks fine. I just changed the water Friday but I'll change it again when I get off. Hopefully it's still alive and better.

+1 on rut rags post you def want to invest in a sw master test kit. I would get a complete water reading and do a 50% water change. Then test again tomorrow and repeat above until your water is good. I would also turn off the lights and power heads to keep him comfortable.

Right now he is in the hob refugium with no flow a piece of live rock LS and an air stone.

:( he died. I took a closer look at him and it seems one of my hermits is a killer. -.-

17 hermits are only in the tank and half the gramma tail was missing and the side fins were damaged.

My hermits never picked on my healthy fish. But I had one in my first days of sw that got ill and my hermits got it

Back
Top Bottom