Sad 24 hrs ... lost my 3 fish to ich ... need restart advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

blk2000xjc

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I started my first saltwater tank in February and everything was going VERY well until 2 days ago. I had a beautiful Cowfish and a black domino Damsel for months (along with many little inverts) in a 55 gal tank. About 3 weeks ago I bought a Kobe Tang from the LFS and it brought along some friends aparently. I'm not positive but I'm pretty sure it was ich.

I caught it too late and they all died the first being the Tang and the last my Cowfish Gozilla.

I noticed the problem yesterday afternoon and promptly went out and bought a 10 gal startup kit for a QT and some CopperSafe but to no avail. It was too late ... lesson learned.

Now I'd like to start thinking about the future. I've got a tank full of inverts and a 10 gal QT tank which I will use from now on whenever I get a new fish.

My question is how long should I wait before I start introducing new fish back into the tank?

Here's some pics of my late Cowfish Gozilla ... RIP.

gozilla.jpg

Gorgeous fish and a terrible shame :( . No need to beat a dead horse here, glad to see you learned a tough lesson.

The main tank needs to remain fallow (without fish) for a MINIMUM of 4 weeks. This will allow the life cycle of the ich to run its course and die off.

Good luck moving forward!

I can imagine, a lapse in judgement brough ich into my main tank through feeder shrimp. I almost lost my porc. puffer several times, and I know how tough it was just to go through that before he got better. RIP Gozilla indeed.

Back
Top Bottom