Sailfin Tang needs help Ich?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

afilter

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have a sailfin Tang(fairly large 6-7in) that displays all the symptons of Ich. I made the mistake o not quarantining it and after about two weeks it satrted to show the initial signs of ich. At the advice of my LFS it treated it in the main tank with Kent RX-P. It only seemed to get worse. I have also tried a freshwater dip, which seemed to knock off the Ich initially but then it just returned the next day even worse. This all started last Friday 12/19/03.

I have now pulled the sailfin out and placed it in my 20 gal Hospital tank last night after doing another freshwater dip and treating the hospital tank with Copper safe. The good news is that none of the other fish in my main tank show any signs of ich and the sailfin is still eating and breathing normaly when I left it this morning. It does expand its fins fully.

This morning when I left I did notice a small tear on one fin and a white spot where ich may have been attached close to the damaged fin. When I was doing freshwater I used Melafix successfully. Would it be recommended to add this now while treating with copper?

My current plan is to leave the sailfin quarantined for at least 3 weeks even if the ich goes away.

Any ideas/thoughts will be appreciated.

quickcure and melafix always seems to work on ick for me.
i would have just quarantined the sailfin for a couple of weeks and if that didnt work..well then i would drop it off to the lfs.
its always best to treat ick as soon as you see signs of it because its always going to be a million times more tougher to treat it when your too late :(

There are only three consistently reliable treatments for SW ich. These are copper, hyposalinity and the transfer method. IMO, hyposalinity is the best treatment possible. Everything else is hit or miss or worse. You already know that you should be quarantining all new fish for 3+ weeks before they go into your display tank. I suggest that you read up on hyposalinity. This link may help www.advancedaquarist.com. You can find a series of articles on ich beginning in the November issue.
Terry B

Back
Top Bottom