Sailfin tang with white line?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PurebloodFerret

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I got this tang on Saturday and I'm sure I would have noticed this mark on him, at the store soi think it's happened since being in the tank (I noticed it Sunday morning). It runs from his temple to his tail, but doesn't seem to bother him. The only thing I can think of that could have done it is my jardinei coral, but he continues swimming around it and close to it without seeming bothered. Is it just a sting mark or something else? Will it heal or get worse and is here anything I can do?
Sorry this is the best photo I could get
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1392087678.725752.jpg

That's his lateral line but it shouldn't be that visible. I don't think. Could be the start of hlle but I doubt it. Just keep him well fed and he should do fine

Sorry newbie here, what's hile? The area around his temple looks a little more haggard than the streamline mark, I'll see if I can get a photo of it he swims a lot though lol. His other side I can see a ridge in the same spot but it's not white like this side, thanks for the quick response!

Head and lateral line erosion. It is usually caused by stress and or poor diet. Nothing you did wrong tho :). Just keep the environment stress free and feed him copious amounts of algae

Yes I noticed he's loving all the long hair algae I had on the back of my tank, decimated it all haha. my phosphorus is about 0.25-0.5 should I keep it like that for him, is algae a predominate part of his diet? I normally fed everyone live brine shrimp and bloodworms, the Duncan's I target feed frozen brine and my anemone and lobsters I feed super krill, fish I feed once a day, lobster twice so he never goes hungry and doesn't get any ideas, corals usually once every second or third day, anemones about twice a week. Is this an alright feeding regime?
Sorry this is sort of going off topic now

Yeah that seems fine. I'd provide an algae clip for the tang as well. They love it!

Thank you, I thought so too there were a few in the store and he just stole my heart :)

Try attaching dried algae to rocks with a rubberband, sometimes this is more natural for the fish than a plastic clip

Back
Top Bottom