Salt Mix and Ammonia Testing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DeepCutta720

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have had some issues with my freshly mixed salt water. Mainly getting positive ammonia readings when testing brand new distilled water + salt mixtures.

I called aquarium pharmaceuticals and asked if their test was able to accurately test ammonia in water that has salt mix in it. They said yes and said the fault is with the salt mixture.

So I then called Aquarium Systems, makers of Instant Ocean salt. They told me that their product does contain an average of .05ppm of ammonia in each batch. Some have more and some times have less. He said its not uncommon for a home ammonia test to read .25 for freshly mixed water made with Instant Ocean.

My question to you is which salt mixture have you all used and tested 0ppm for ammonia straight after mixing on a consistent basis.

Anyone here ever get sick of the lack of quality and consistency of aquarium products in general?

aargh

id guess the test kit to be the issue ! but honestly ive never tested a new mix of water imo its a waste of a test !! i drip all new water into my systems so no worries :)

Back
Top Bottom